Followers

28 June 2020

This morning

It is only 3PM and I have already had a full day. One of our neighbors up in town decided to start celebrating the 4th of July at 4:30 this morning by shooting off fireworks. Our town is in a little bowl and we are up against a hill, so it sounded LOUD. Since I read I'll Be Gone in the Dark, about the Golden State Killer, earlier this month, we keep all the windows closed and the A/C was on high, and it sounded like someone was shooting at the house; Left-Brain was bingeing "Band of Brothers" and it pulled his attention. If I can hear you over WWII and the window A/C unit and it wakes me up, it is not time to be setting off fireworks. I honestly wanted to lean out the door and yell something, but common sense prevailed.

I couldn't get back to sleep, so I ended up watching Netflix and stitching while folding laundry. We are still purging out stuff and I was really pleased with myself for being able to give away clothes I like, but don't wear. It's a big step for me. 

My favorite thing to do in life is to watch studio apartment tours on Youtube. I look at all these people and think about, if I had to, if I was young again and had enough money to rent a place, could I have contentedly lived in a studio apartment and still been ME. I am not sure. I did see a couple who bought individual place settings of patterns of china at thrift stores and mixed them all in together and I thought that was BRILLIANT, because I think you have to inhabit a space joyfully and like you want to be in that 300 square foot space, so you better have dishes you enjoy washing by hand.  But, like, I like my books and clothes and things. So I would have to have a loft bed with lots of storage underneath, or at least room to put a sofa underneath so I could put a massive bookshelf across the room to put all my books, where the sofa would normally go. I don't know what I would do with my clothes. I like to tell myself I could reduce down to a capsule wardrobe, but then in reality, I know how many clothes I took when I went to train in AZ two years ago, and I would be LOST.  Let alone all the tiny bits and pieces of detritus that seem to be in my life that I never see in anyone else's world. I know, I am a weirdo. But I gave up some clothes to go to a better home, I got rid of most of my maternity clothes earlier--still wearing those maternity jeans, they were expensive and they are COMFY--and I am trying.

Anyway, I ended up watching the piece on Woodstock that American Experience did. Sooo good. And it made me sad I didn't go. Not like I could have, 7 years before I was born. Even if I had been alive, my parents wouldn't have let me go, LOL. If you haven't seen it, it's worth your time. They also have a documentary about a guy who made fake expensive wine. It is the most interesting thing. Like, he had an amazing palette, so he would come up with formulas to reproduce wines and came pretty close. Crazy, right?

And I stitched. I am almost to the end of the 2nd page of First Born. A lot of confetti stitching, but, gosh, is Claire lovely. 


I will post a photo when I get the page finish. She really is amazing. I would say that if she wasn't my piece. She is just luminous. 

1 comment:

Robin in Virginia said...

You have made incredible progress on Claire, Rachel. It sounds like your day has been productive. Good for you on passing clothes along! Have a good week!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls