Followers

26 July 2020

1/3 of the way through



Claire et Le Passe Compose is 1/3 of the way completed.

I did some hard-core stitching last week.  This is officially 9 weeks and one day progress. I decided I had earned a break for the weekend, so have been focused on reading.

I finished a book, Enchantress of Paris, this morning, about Marie Mancini, I have had it for a while, Our library lets you renew books 20 times, and then, when everything was shut down, they set the next renewal date to July 31st. Someone else is requesting it, so it has to go back. They can have it, it was not good. Maybe it's my general lack of knowledge about French history, but I just could not get into this book. I did finish it though. It's ready to go back to the library. I have one heavy adult book to get through, and then will read young adult fiction for a bit.

If one can say anything good has come out of this isolation, it's that I have expanded my horizons on my reading material. I had already started reading more books by African American authors, but I finished Girl Woman Other last week and it was phenomenal (although, full disclosure, the writer of this book is not American and the book is set in Britain). I have some works by Asian writers, and even chose some books with LGBTQ+ themes, which, honestly, I haven't had that much exposure to, but I LOVED Red, White and Royal Blue. I bought quite a few books from various sources over the past 4 months and am dying to read them.

Not much is going on here otherwise. My husband found a new job. He had started working part time, but it was very hot last week, and he isn't 20 anymore. But this guy pursued him and basically hired him without an interview, for what he wanted.  When my husband closed his company, this one took over some of his customers, so he was able to see the work my husband does. He also said he saw him around the supply house and liked his attitude, so he wanted to work with him.   He was supposed to start tomorrow, but the company is so busy, he actually started on Friday. Yay!  I am so happy for him; the company seems good and seems pretty flexible. This is the kind of work I have been praying for for him. It feels good to let go of that anxiety; we have started to talk about buying me a newer car, and adopting a puppy, things we haven't been able to think about with all the medical debt and unsteady work, but we can . . . maybe . . . think about. I think we are going to celebrate his official start with a cake tomorrow. Yum!



1 comment:

Robin in Virginia said...

Clare is looking good, Rachel! I would love hear about some of the books you have read or will be reading. Congratulations on your husband's new job! Celebrating with cake sounds like a great idea!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls