Followers

22 January 2017

2016 year in review

I am so far behind in updating my stitching projects. It's almost the end of January, and I haven't had a chance to finalize what I did last year.


2016 Finishes

  • 30 December-A Child is Born-JCS 2016 Ornament Issue
  • 20 December--Sleeping Peace Fox-JCS Ornament issue 2016
  • 17 October-Brittercup-JCS Ornament issue 2011
  • 6 October-Friendsheep freebie
  • 28 September-Mitten Mitten-Cricket Collection freebie
  • 21 September-In My Daughter's Eyes-custom chart
  • 4 September-Snow Kid-JCS ornament Preview 2014
  • 31 AugustHallelujah-Little House Needleworks
  • 10 August-Noel freebie
  • 4 August-Winter mini-block-Hinzeit
  • 15 July-Snow Baby-SamSarah-JCS Ornament Issue 2014
  • 8 July-Little Fan Freebie-Cricket Collection
  • 6 July-Icky Spooky
  • 29 June-Salem Sisters-Plum Street Samplers
  • 22 June-Delivering Summer-Homespun Elegance
  • 16 June-Haunted Tea Party-Brooke's Books
  • 27 May-Celebrations-Summer--Country Cottage Needleworks
  • 10 May-Birdsong 1-Prairie Schooler
  • 23 April-Autumn Shadows-Gathering Place
  • 13 April--The Gift-Blackberry Lane Designs
  • 24 March-Rabbits-Prairie Schooler
  • 5 March-Frost is on the Pumpkin-Just Nan
  • 3 March-Santa's Pets-BH&G 2009 Cross stitch Calendar
  • 28 January-Kitty's Life-Prairie Grove Peddler
  • 21 January-Fox Ornament-Bucilla
  • 20 January-All Dressed Up for the Holidays-JCS 2005-Vermilion Stitchery
  • 15 January-Language of Flowers-UK Cross Stitcher
  • 12 January-Autumn-KissyCross
  • 8 January-Pumpkin-CM Designs

I had 29 finishes last year. 17 of them were Bin of Good Intentions finishes, things that had been started and put aside. I am pretty proud of that. Since I had at least 80 WIPs and UFOs at the start of the year, That is over a 20% reduction in that number, and it included 2 very large projects: Santa's Pets and In My Daughter's Eyes. In 2015, I kitted up SC Noah's Sub, but have never started it, because I set myself the rule that I could not start it until I had finished my Dimensions wolf cub kit, Sleepy Hollow, the 12 monthly floss tags a designer put out in 2009 and the above-listed charts. I only have to finish the floss tags at this point to start the project, which is awesome because getting 4 large projects completed in just over a year is a big deal for me.

I don't have any set plans for 2017. I started the Frosted Pumpkin Happily Ever After SAL this week. I am stitching it on Crystal Barnwood Lugana from PTP and I have to say, as of now, I like it. I think it's going to be a project I can complete while Logan is still a tiny guy.  I will try to post pictures this week of it. I also have a project of seasonal snowmen from Sanman to work on. I noticed a couple people on Flosstube were planning on doing seasonal projects, and only working on the season they were in during that time, so I figured I could do that. Sanmans aren't that complicated, so it should be something I can do quickly. And I want to focus on finishing things. I actually completed 4 projects this year, the pillow I showed in my October post, a small winter pin pillow, and two ornaments. I am getting a little more comfortable with my sewing machine, and starting to learn some better finishing tips (Twisted Stitcher's YouTube videos are wonderful, but I also have some exceptional finishers in my stitching group), so that helps.

I know that I'm not going to be able to have a lot of finishes this year. Not with a small baby who will require more doctor visits than typical. Not with trying to get the house ready to move. But I'm learning to live a little more contently. Every stitch is one more than I had. And that's OK.

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Rachel, I think you accomplished a great bit during 2016. Glad you are becoming more comfortable with your sewing machine. I hope 2017 brings you much contentment from your stitching. I think your attitude about every stitch being more than you is a good one to have. Enjoy the time spent with your little ones.

Justine said...

Sounds like you had an awesome stitching year! Getting those large projects done must feel good. I hope you can carve out some stitching time for yourself even though you're going to be busy with family life.

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls