Followers

01 February 2018

It has been a long time.

I can not believe it has been just short of a year since I last posted.  2017 might have been a bad year, but at least it went quickly, I guess.

Little bit of a life update for today at least: Logan came home from the NICU after 142 days, on February 15. It took a lot of adjusting to having 2 kids, and there were some medical issues. But we have overcome a lot of the odds and he is doing splendidly. He will be 16 months old next week, and he walked at adjusted age of  11 months old. Not much older than his "normal" sister. We had some struggles to get him developmentally on track, mostly due to the fact that his g-tube "button"--the part that is in their skin--stuck up too high and it hurt him to do tummy time. In August, his wonderful nurse changed it out for a flat one and he took off. Held his head up in a day, crawled on September 10th and then walked just before Thanksgiving. He is eating 100%, loves food, eats like a grown man. Yay!  I have been dealing with PPD as a result of everything we went through. There are not a lot of psychiatrists who take my insurance, and I had a bad experience with the one who did, so that is something I am still struggling with. But I at least have come to understand that I did not cause this prematurity. There was not a single thing I could have done to prevent the pre-eclampsia (I agonized for months that, had I just been more insistent about taking BP meds as a preventative, it wouldn't have happened. Turns out, they don't help. PEC is not a blood pressure condition, it's pretty much an allergy to the placenta) and I am terribly lucky that I did not die from it. That helped a lot. I still have a long way to go. It did not help that I was laid off from my job at the end of November. I am searching for a job, I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a new one. I always could at least temp before. But it's not so easy. My husband's schedule and the lack of school-age care in this area are hampering me, and I am starting to get desperate. My husband came out this morning to see me, sitting in the dark, trying to find some kind of work with benefits.

Anyway, I will be back more often now. I hope everyone is hanging in there.

6 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Rachel, it was good to see your post. Happy to hear that Logan is doing so well. Praise the Lord! Thinking of you!

Vicky said...

Yay, glad you are back xxx

Meari said...

Hang in there. Have you considered at home customer service work? I have a friend who does that and says she's doing very well. I can hook you two up if you're interested.

Sounds like Logan is doing well. He's so adorable!


Donna said...

Nice to see you here again! Sending good vibes to you on your job search.

Shebafudge said...

So sorry to hear about your job situation, that is a hard thing to be dealing with on top of everything else. The important thing (family) sounds great though.

Really looking forward to hearing more of your news. xx

Justine said...

Sorry to read about your tough year, you certainly have had a lot thrown at you all at once. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls