Followers

01 June 2012

Online video tutorials

I'll admit it, I watch entirely too much Youtube. After all, one can only watch so much TV or read.

So far, I have learned the lyrics to "Galway Girl," and have been singing them to the dog, who wags his tail indulgently, watched the video to "I Loved Her First" and made myself cry (I was alone for that one), watched tribute music videos to "North and South" (not the best), and even watched Sacred Harp videos. On that one, I toyed with trying to find a local group that does it, but, then again, I can't read music, and it's hard to find karaoke places around here, let alone primitive folk music groups.

But the one thing I can not find is Youtube videos on cross stitch finishing. There are plenty of videos on how to cross stitch, some of which make it look a lot harder than it actually is, but none on how to finish it. I did open one link enthusiastically, but her definition of "finishing" was making sure that the back looked OK.  I think I'm a bit beyond that. It's not that the photo tutorials aren't good and I am not complaining, it's just sometimes a multi-media approach might help.

It is times like these I wish I had a video camera, so I could share a couple of my finishing techniques. Not that I am really good, but, if you have NOTHING, something is good, right? Of course, mine would have a dog snoot in the frame, and, probably, "Galway Girl" blasting in the background (Now I ask you friend/What's a fella to do/Well her hair was black and her eyes were blue). But then again, that does seem to be the norm for Youtube.

One of these days . . .

2 comments:

Astrids dragon said...

We live close enough to each other... I think! I'll video your finishes because I'm terrible at it! I have several that needed framing or something done to them.

I have no idea what Galway Girl is, guess I know what I'm doing on the computer today!

Meari said...

I don't have a video camera either, but I've put my tutorials on my blog, complete with pics. :)

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls