Followers

05 January 2009

Happy New Year!

It's been so long since I've posted, I'm sure y'all thought I forgot you. I just had a lot to think about this weekend. I was offered a job that is nearly 70 miles from the house, and I agonized and tried to reason my way into a plan that would make it possible to accept it, but I finally had to decline the position. And it hurt to do it, but I couldn't have spent 4 hours a day in a car, or on a subway train, nor did it make financial sense to get a raise of $20 a day and then spend $11 on getting there. So I turned it down. And I pray I made the right decision. I think I did, because it was like a weight left my shoulders and I wasn't sleepy last night. Whenever I am depressed, I could sleep forever, and I was sleeping a lot all weekend.

It was a freezing New Year here. Blustery winds, almost gale force, on New Year's Eve. I was running around running errands, and it was throwing my car all over the road. And I thought the car wasn't that tiny. I got stuck in a traffic jam because the wind pretty much knocked a power pole over that was hanging over the highway. Yeah that was scary.

I cut off my hair on Wednesday. I had gotten to a point where I had my hair up all the time anyway and it was so long. I decided that it was time for a change. I really liked a slightly modified angular bob, so we went with that. It was a big change, going from bra-length hair to a bob, and I have to admit, when large long clumps of hair started falling past my face, there was a moment of, "What have I done to myself" but everyone loves it. It has a great color, a strawberry blonde, and it feels healthier. I just HAVE to blowdry it now, but that's OK.

I am pretty proud of myself. I started a New Year's Day project, and I am almost finished it. It's nothing big, a Lizzie Kate, "Land that I love," but I realize that I have never finished a New Year's Day start, and that is pretty wretched, so to be almost finished with it, that's great. SO asked if I would frame it, and I told him no, it is going to be a cube. He'll have to cut the foamcore, he's better at that than me.

And I picked out what I am going to do for my stocking. SO has his pretty stocking, I need mine! And, since I got hosed at the state fair last year, it's ON this year. I will win that flippin' stocking class. I chose this one



I think it's really pretty.

10 comments:

Kathy A. said...

That must have been a very tough decision but it sounds like the right one.
I love your stocking. I will cheer you on and hope that you do well at this year's state fari.

Annie said...

I love Donna Vermillion designs. That stocking will be beautiful.

New year, new hair-do. Makes sense to me. But a 70 mile commute makes no sense at all and I'm glad you rejected it.

Suzanne said...

When are you going to post a picture of the new 'do?

The stocking is really pretty. I'll look forward to updates on it.

Suzanne

Juggy Bug Designs said...

Hello Rachel. :) I've been gone a longgg time and I just had to stop by and catch up on your blog. I see you've changed the layout from when I was here last, it is very pretty...nice choice.

I'm glad you like your new hairstyle, I'm sure it suits you--where are the pics? :)

When you get a minute, can you plz e-mail me? humorschild(AT)gmail.com? I'd really appreciate it. For some silly reason I can't find your e-mail..and I had it in there forever.I can chat to you on the 123 board but you know how it is...sometimes things are better said in an e-mail.

Take care and enjoy 2009.

Julie

Lee said...

Way-back-when, I commuted to work 90 minutes each way. If I car-pooled, it was at least two hours each way. It was exhausting and I'd never do it again.

You might think that you could spend your commute reading or stitching, but most of the year it's dark when you leave and dark when you come home. And when you get home you're too tired to do anything but eat and get ready for the next day.

You made a good decision. It's not always about the money...

MsB said...

Cute stocking! Gret choice for yours to go along with the SO's.. tell him happy belated b-day!

And kudos for making a decision you are happy with about the job! :)

Wub U!
B

LoriRay said...

Stay safe on those roads. How scary!

You made me laugh about the "flippin' stocking"...LOL! You've picked a beauty -- surely that'll be the big winner!

I think you did the right thing by declining that job.

Take care!

Bette said...

I have that same stocking for my daughter. It's a lovely one. And you're sure to win at the fair with that one!

Meari said...

Happy New Year, Rachel! So where's a pic of the new do???

Pumpkin said...

Oh, that would be a hard decision but I can definitely see your point. I know I would not like commuting to work every day :o(

That is going to be one gorgeous stocking!!!!

Yay! New hairdos are always fun. I got mine done before DH came home and I really love it :o)

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls