Followers

05 March 2012

Monday update--my green thumb

may still be here.

Back in November, I posted about planting a lot of bulbs in the yard. I dug an entire new flowerbed, which was not an easy task in our yard, and was something, looking back, that I shouldn't have done, since I was 6 weeks pregnant, but, since all I had to go on was my primary care doctor's declaration that I had miscarried, I needed something to do to get over being so depressed. I had some concerns because I know I didn't plant them according to the standards on the bag, and I also put them in pots on the landing of the front stoop. I promised an update, hoping they'd make it through the winter, but not totally sure they'd make it.

They survived. And are coming up through the soil. My daffodils haven't come up yet, but they might be late bloomers, the irises I wanted so badly to have didn't live, they just kinda rotted, but my crocusi are coming up in their little box and around our Japanese maple, and the tulips are pushing through the ground. It is probably some combination of our mild winter and my dumb luck, but it made my heart happy to see those stems coming through. We still have to mulch around them, so the bed is pretty, and they have a bit of protection, but I am as pleased with those little buds as could be. We've never really had color in the yard in the spring, unless I bought Gerber daisies and planted them, but we'll have it this spring. It's a harbinger of the new chapter in the life of Crazyville!

4 comments:

Julie M said...

Glad your flowers are coming up. Iris are kinda persnickity, they want to be just barely below the surface of the dirt, otherwise they will rot.

My bulbs are peeking through too and I know we're not done with winter around here. They're gonna be in for a shock one of these days!!

Meari said...

Awww... I was hoping to see pics! Did the ones in the pots make it?

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Iris like to be planted in the summer--July or August and do not like to be planted to deeply. I have many iris. If you would like I would be happy to share with you (after they bloom and are ready to be divided).

Don't give up on your gardening efforts--I have killed more plants than have survived

Pumpkin said...

YAY! That's wonderful news :o) I wish I had planted bulbs last fall. I keep meaning to...

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls