27 February 2012

Wildly windy weekend

After a nice warm week last week, I got off work on Friday night to drive home in a horrible windstorm, the kind that pushes the car all over the road. Got home, opened the rear door, my journal fell out and all the papers that I had carelessly folded and stuck in there flew out. I ended up running up and down the street, trying to rescue them. A few flew into the Shrekswamp by the house, one got trapped under the truck wheel, I'm sure a few blew away into the creek that feeds the Shrekswamp (it used to be the drainage pond for the development, now it's just a swampy wetland most of the year, calling it the Shrekswamp seems a slightly more dignified name than "the old drainage pond". It's actually kind of pretty in there, and full of little frogs and salamanders). Since the stack was mostly freebies I'd printed off, and I don't need to make myself sick plunging into a creek in February over something like that, I'm not going to stress out over the loss. It was kind of annoying to lose things, and to let them blow away, but, as Left-brain pointed out on Saturday, stuff blows into the Shrekswamp all the time, and we just pick them up. I could not run faster than the wind, and would not do it over a piece of paper.

The wind kept up through Saturday, making running errands in Metro Crazyville difficult. When I got home, I just crawled into bed and took a nap; Left brain said it was a couple hours, it felt like a half-hour. Woke up and just couldn't get in a stitching mood. Couldn't get into the mood to do anything, really, no cooking, not much of anything. Part of me wanted to keep working on "Summer Ball", and maybe telling myself that that has to be put away for the week had me in a down mood. We ended up watching TV instead of everything else.

Yesterday was a work day. I really don't know how much longer I can take working the two jobs. I know we need the money, but it's becoming physically difficult to do the work, which is not all that difficult, I just lean across a counter, but my back and hips feel that and don't like it, and I came home last night, ate dinner and went to bed.

I did make myself kit up and start my Easter ornament exchange piece though. I want to get that finished and out before the deadline, and I know how easily I fall behind on these things. I am pretty pleased with myself because, yet again, I had everything in my stash to do this, including a pretty piece of Dovestitch evenweave, and I have the perfect fabric to finish it. My goal is to get it finished by the end of the week, get a little shopping done for some other goodies to tuck in the package as well, and have it all mailed out by next weekend. That's the goal, I'm not so good at keeping to my goals, but that's the focus this week. I'd even like to have the few Valentine's Day goodies down and my Easter/spring stuff (since I don't "do" St. Patrick's Day) up. We'll have to see . . . but at least I know where the box o' bunnies and other Easter things is, and the tree's been taking up space in the sewing room since last spring. This should not be too hard.


Meari said...

Good luck with your goal of finishing the Easter piece. You can do it!! :)

I worked two jobs for many years so I know how you feel. I may have to pick up another one (again) if things don't change with my employer.

Elaine said...

Hope your stitching mojo has come back to stay Rachel.
Apart from being tired I hope you are keeping well, take care.

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls