Followers

28 November 2008

Thanksgiving, the day after

I hope everyone had a wonderful day. I was blessed to have dinner and lunch with my family and SO's family. His niece called me "Aunt Rachel" for the first time yesterday. She was trying to show me how to do an Irish jig. She's really good at it; those little legs were just a-flyin'. Yours truly, although my gramma's grandfather was a Boylan from Dublin, not so good at it. I had to tell her I couldn't do it, I am Pennsylvania Dutch, and we are better cooks than dancers. But it was nice to get called that; I think it has a nice ring to it, don't you?

I came home from work on Wednesday to a wonderful treat for which I am blessedly thankful. I've told you that I have a sewing room at SO's. I've had it for a year and have yet to actually take a stitch in it. Mostly because it seems to function as a catch-all room; as of Monday, there was a growing collection of stufties, the telescope I bought SO for our anniversary, our Halloween decorations, and the middle leaf from the table. I have been buying the occasional decorate-y thing to hang up, but they've not made it up yet. And there were no curtains at the window. I didn't know what kind of rod would be best, and pricing sheers at Lowe's is depressing. Why so much for see-through fabric? SO said he was bringing the bookcase for me to put my binders on, but I wasn't thinking it was going to be ready any time soon.

Anyway, I pulled in the drive and noted that a) the window in the room had a curtain, b) the room was lit up. HRMMMM. Along with the office/shoe room (I like shoes, SO LOVES sneakers and could be a distributor for Timberland, yes, we have a room full of shoes). SO never leaves the lights on in both rooms. Ever. No, seriously, EVER. So I walked in, there's a pile of clothes in the living room, and cleaning music on. I walked into the catchall room, and IT WAS CLEAN. PERFECTLY clean. Large and lovely and clean. And my bookcase was up. And the curtain was up at the window (he took it off our bed to put up there--must replace that).

Him: Is the bookcase OK, there, cause I have to screw it into the wall if that's where you want it?

Me: Ummm, I think so but can we try it on the other wall, just to make sure it's OK?

Him: OK, move your stash (he must love me a great deal to try to learn the lingo, LOL).

So we moved it around. Moved the couch over to the other side, moved it all around the room, for me to decide, in the end, it was in the right place all along. I've always thought that, when I get married, I won't be the kind of woman who does things like that. Apparently, I'm starting to practice for that.

In addition to all that, he cleaned out the closet so I have that to hang my out of season clothes. I am not sure I know what to make of this richness of space. I'm being serious. For ten years I've had a tiny little messed up closet (whatever they were thinking in the 20s when they built that house, I don't know because it's not even wide enough for a coathanger), and my stuff was shoved whereever there was space. Now I have this lovely little peaceful space where I can light a candle, read, watch the sunset, or take a nap. I see Robbie and I spending some good quiet time in here, though he would be content if we lived in a box, as long as we were together.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Sounds ng your like you are making your little nest!

Suzanne

Pumpkin said...

That is one good man you have there! Hang onto him ;o)

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls