Followers

19 August 2009

Questions to be answered

Musings from a 3-bedroom Ranch had these questions on it the other day, and I think they are great questions that need to be answered!

1)Why do you stitch? It fills a need to create that I have. When I was a child, I wrote stories. When I was a teenager, I acted and sang. When I went to college, I made clothes and did makeup. I graduated and had no creative outlet. Stitching fills the void that was left when I couldn't "do" the other things. I'd been doing it since I was 12, but it became a passion at 22.

2) On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being least important and 10 being most important what is your cross stitch passion level? 10, definitely. This is my niche. The only other things I have ever been this passionate about are my dogs and probably my makeup design work.

3)If you're only option for cross stitch supplies and patterns happened to be the major chain craft stores would you just walk away from the little X? Kiss it goodbye? Nope. I didn't know you could go to a store that just sold cross stitch til 8 years ago. I've been stitching since I was 12.

4)Also are you so passionate about cross stitch that if indeed your only option was the major chain craft stores, would that inspire you to create your own cross stitch pieces because you have to stitch and you've stitched your way through the whole of Dimensions catalog--because you must stitch and the thought of life without a relationship with the little X leaves you feeling empty? I would. I've been toying with design. The only thing holding me back now is lack of charting software.

5)Finally what do the cross stitch magazines on the market offer you? Do they relate to you as a cross stitcher? Do you look at them and think to yourself, who do they think buys this magazine? I guess what I'm asking, when you see the current cross stitch magazines do they make you feel like they know their readers or do you find it's more of the same? What could they do to be ambassadors for the art of cross stitch other than putting a sampler on the cover with "F-U" on it? What are we missing on a PR level that could change the opinion of cross stitch itself? Honestly, we need a famous celebrity stitching to build interest in the craft. If only Miley Cyrus would stitch, we'd be set. I'm only half kidding here. I think the magazines offer a lot to me. A variety of charts for one price, but sometimes it does seem like it's the same design over and over. I have never seen anyone stitch a Gail Bussi design and yet, she still gets in magazines. Lesley Teare makes me feel the same way.

The problem, in general, with craft is that it lacks cool points. People have this idea that it's "too." Too time consuming, too boring, and that people judge them. And I've sat people down, showed them that it's a wonderful stress reliever, there are quick projects, and that most people react kindly to my stitching. It's worthy to be crafty.

6) And finally, finally, do you do other crafts and if so what are they and why do they pull you away from cross stitch? I don't do other crafts. I've tried, but I was raised to believe you should focus on one thing at a time, and I've always followed that.

No comments:

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls