Followers

23 August 2009

I must be nutcakes

After I finished Fall Cat last night, I decided to pull out my Hummingbird Trellis afghan WIP. I haven't worked on it at all since I moved in, and it needs to be worked on. Plus, with fall coming on, it's not such an effort to work on it. Not as my primary piece, though. I am not carrying it back and forth to both jobs. My other UFOs can be done at work. A 30 square afghan, all the floss, and the key, are not something I want to be fooling with on my lunch break.

It did rather floor SO to see that afghan roll out of seemingly nowhere. His first question was, "Will that be done in time for the fair next year?" After I stopped laughing, I told him no.

Him: How long have you been working on that?

Me: (thinking) About 4 years. I had to pick one of the squares out and start over.


Him: (counting the number of completed squares.) You've done four. How long will it take you to get that done?

Me: Well, judging by my past progress of one square a year, it will take me 30 years.

Him: (trying to be reasonable) But at that rate, it will take forever. I mean, you'll be an old lady by the time you get it done.

Me: (looking through the pattern and finding Square 22)Yeah, but 2027 will be a banner year.

So he agrees it is a masterpiece, and worth taking 30 years to do. I'll try to go a bit faster. I'm half finished with square 3. He was suitably impressed that this will take 19 skeins of white, as well he should be. I wonder if he worries that I continue to pull mysterious, previously unseen by him, UFOs out of nooks and crannies. He did ask why I start all these large projects. I shrugged my shoulders. I was in my 20's. Who knows why we do half the things we do at that age? I guess we're so busy trying to grab the brass ring before we're old that we don't quite figure out life starts at 30. Or at least it gets easier.

I think he does really like it. He likes the more realistic stuff over the primitive things I stitch. And I just remembered, I've actually only been working on it for 3 years. That first year, I was trying to stitch with Anchor, I really had zero clue about how to stitch an afghan and I ended up ripping it out and starting over. So four squares in three years is a good start. LOL. Hopefully, by the end of September, I'll have 5 squares done.

2 comments:

Meari said...

Good luck with HT. Indeed it will be gorgeous.

CindyMae said...

Would love to see a pic of where you are at now. Everything you do is a masterpiece!!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls