Followers

04 June 2011

Life is a Battlefield

Sometimes you have to blast your way through.

I posted how I'm trying to get a new computer. In order to facilitate that, and also just to see if I can make it through, I'm on a spending moratorium this month. Not from things like food and gas--I couldn't not buy those things--but the frivolous spending that I seem to enjoy so much. I have PLENTY of books to read, plenty of WIPs to work on, and I've had The Notebook since December and JUST sat down to watch it, so I'm not lacking for anything.

It's been easy-ish this week. But the challenge with me is always the weekend. Today I had to go buy a birthday gift for our nephew. And I headed up to Target. The boys' section is right next to the shoe section. And, for those of you who have a Target near you, they have THE CUTEST shoes this summer, and I got sucked right down the row. There were a few moments of tense internal negotiation (Spendy Rachel can justify anything--I was telling myself that mustard-yellow flats would be EXQUISITE with my grey pants and I darn near listened--but, in the end, I decided I was going to stick it out, forego the shoes, and have my laptop. I was pretty proud of myself for it. I did walk out with the birthday gift, and just the gift. I ROCK!

Now on the less "ordering on addictive personality" side of my battles, I am almost done with my Fatty SAL. I am working on the Summer one, and, for the life of me, I could not figure out what part of the design was supposed to be. I know it's a bee, but there was a small blob of blue and brown on the right. I don't have a color printer, so it was driving me NUTS to decide if they were other bugs, grapes, or what, but I just now figured out they're birds. In a nest. And they're adorable. I will be glad to get this design done. I ended up having to sub out a couple of colors for other Sullivan colors, but I am missing the one for 415, so will use the DMC for that. I don't like doing it, but I'd rather have it finished and have one non-Sullivan floss color in the batch. I'll post a photo when I'm done, which should be tomorrow.

3 comments:

Julie M said...

Good girl! I'm proud of you for not giving in and buying those mustard colored shoes!

ArchangelDecker said...

Dear Rachel,

I took the liberty of looking at my 4 Seasons Fatties chart again, and the blob of of brown and blue on the right is a birds' nest and baby blue birds in it. If you care to take a look, I have my 4 Seasons Fatties SAL pictured here .

Here are the mats I used:


Part Three Summer Block Fibers Used:


DMC 310 for black stripes on bee


Anchor 310 for branches, 244, for leaves, 359 for nest, 295 for yellow stripes on bee, 147 for heart on bee.

Glisten Gloss Metallic in #SP01; silver for bee's wings


Accoutrement: Mill Hill beads in #62031 Old Gold; Just Another Button Company bluebird button

Here is the list of everything that I used in my project. I used my ubiquitous mish mash of cleaning out the fiber bins that I have. :)


I love your progress on the piece. Can't wait to see it finished! :)

Pumpkin said...

Good for you!!!!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls