Followers

29 October 2008

An idea for a Christmas present

I don't know if this really counts as a present, but I had an idea.

I've been spending a lot of time lately pondering the blessings of my life and whether I am a good caretaker of those blessings. Sometimes, especially when I look at all my stash, I don't think I do the best job, because I really do have a lot. I know, stash is not the same as having a thousand pairs of designer shoes or 15 expensive purses, but . . . it's all relative.

My favorite human charity offers a gift catalog and one of the choices is to buy chicks for someone. When I checked, it was about $20 for 20 chicks that can grow and provide meat and eggs and income and . . . hope. When I look at that $20 spent on cross stitch, that doesn't buy much, but it gives someone the chance to better themselves. $20 for hope, or $20 for something that I may hang on the wall someday.

So this is my gift to myself as we enter the holiday season. I will not buy any stash. Not on Ebay, not on a sale list, not from a shop. Any shop. Even if they have a discount or a sale, or awesome freebies. And that is going to include buying any kind of supplies. I have floss and needles and fabrics, and UFOs and kits enough to keep me busy and out of the craft store. And, when I see something that I really really want, I will donate the price to a charity. The charts will still be around in January, as will the floss and fabric, if I still want them and I'll have something way better than a new stitching gadget.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

I got an animal last year for Christmas...I think it was a goat. I recently got a Heifer Project catalog...they are based here in Arkansas and I have toured their ranch...way cool.

Suzanne

Jennifer said...

I think it's a great idea. It focuses you on what you're really spending and puts that urge towards a good use.

Petra said...

Wow that's really sincere and special...good luck, I know it's tough...but you are doing a good thing!

Pumpkin said...

What an awesome idea! I know where you're coming from because I'm looking at my stash and thinking...I'll NEVER get through all of this :oS

Bette said...

What a thoughtful idea! And I bet you'll feel better than if you had gotten a pile of stash.

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls