Followers

03 January 2012

Happy New Year

I had the best intentions of posting over the weekend, but didn't get time to do it. It was a very busy weekend in Crazyville. We hosted New Years Day dinner, and had to clean the house for that, plus celebrated Left-brain's birthday. I had to work a little on Friday and then yesterday was the day to do all the laundry and clean up after the party.

I did, miraculously, find a few hours to stitch. My first start of the New Year has been "Itty Bitty Kitty Quilt" by Val's Stuff. My aim is to stitch one square a month, so it will be a year-long project, but I managed to stitch the first square and part of the border between Sunday and yesterday. It's a neat little piece, done in DMC, mine is on oatmeal Aida, which I think will work well with the muted colors of the piece. I'll try to post a photo tonight, but you'll have to excuse the hoop marks--I didn't have time to iron between hand-washing the dishes and sorting out the clothes.

One good thing we did figure out how to do was to make pulled pork. My mother bought us a 7 pound pork roast for 5 people this year, and I don't eat that much anymore, so there was a LOT left over (we have a lot of food left over in general--my fridge is groaning right now). Left-brain mixed it up with some jarred South Carolina barbecue sauce we had, and we had sandwiches last night. So good, even without coleslaw!

I even found time to start working on one of the UFOs I have chosen to finish this year. It's the January 2006 Secret Needle Night project. Nothing fancy, but it needs finished as it's now a 6 year old UFO. After we got the house back in order, I sat down to watch a Law and Order Criminal Intent Marathon and worked on that. It's not really one of my favorite projects, and there is a reason it was a UFO for so long, but I made good progress on it, and, hopefully, it will be done by the weekend. My goal is to get 12 UFOs done this year. I know I can't get them all done, but it would be good to get one done a month--that's progress I can be proud of.

On my last post, Joyce asked what LNS I go to. My closest one is Stitching Post in Catonsville. I found that one in 2001, and it's really added to my addiction over the years. They are the largest LNS in Maryland, and it's not hard to get there. I try to not go to an LNS unless it's a special occasion, or I really need to, I usually mail order, since things fall into my basket, but it's good to know they are close. I did go over on Friday and treated myself to hand-dyeds, which were on sale 25% off. I did buy two charts by Victoria Sampler, but since they were the last two charts I intend to buy for a while and they were 25% off, it's OK. We are somewhat spoiled here in the DC area, with 3 great shops within an hour and a half (Stitching Post, Needlecraft Corner, and In Stitches, down in Alexandria), plus my favorite shop, Salty Yarns, in Ocean City, but, since OC is out of my driving range right now, per my doctor, I'm going to have stick close to home.

5 comments:

Denise said...

I went there Friday as well and got a lot of goodies to add to my stash!

Annie said...

Sounds like you had a lovely stitchy weekend, punctuated with good food and good times.

I never manage to get to any of those shops. Too far to drive when the web is so convenient and I don't really buy that much stuff. I miss the good ole days when LNS's were everywhere!

Have a great 2012!

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

You have been so busy !!! I sure wish I had A LNS close !! lol but, then i would not have any money !! Happy Stitching in 2012 !!

Kathy A. said...

I look forward to seeing you finish some of those UFO's. i am hoping to do that this year too.
I have some friends who just moved to Baltimore. Are any of those shops near there? We are hoping to visit them in the spring.

Pumpkin said...

I LOVE pulled pork!!!! Yum-yum-yum! So easy to make too :o)

I love those SNN patterns from TSN. Can't wait to see some stitched up.

Lucky you having so many NS close by! I'd be in SO much trouble. LOL!

I know this is late but Happy New Year!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls