25 January 2012

Rage against the dying of the light

For some reason known only to the power company, we lost power at some point over night. I woke up at 4AM this morning, and realized the whole house was out, as were the neighbors' houses. I figured it was a glitch, so waited for it to come back on. It didn't. Finally at 5 or so, I woke Left-brain and said, "Just so you know, the power's out." Don't ask me why I did this to him--it seemed like a good idea at the time.

His response: "Wha---hunh?"
Me: The power's out. The cable box is off. I know you paid the electric bill.

He got up and stumbled out to the living room, to check out the situation. And, in coming back down the pitch-black hallway, stumbled into something. And uttered the expletive one would consider appropriate at said time.

Because, you see, last night, I got one of the tubs out of my sewing room, and attempted to organize it. When I was done organizing it, which always turns into an, "ohhh, I should stitch this next, or this," deal, I asked him to put it out in the hall. I meant for him to put it on top of another box I had out there, which was not in the traffic flow, but he put it right across from the doorway, because he's not a mind reader and I didn't make myself clear. Now, neither of us is a tiny person--he's tall, and I'm big, and a tiny voice in my head said, "That is really not a good idea, you need your little toes." But, I deferred to my husband's decision making skills . . . and he paid the price.

And somehow managed to do it again when he was going into the office to check on the downstreet light, as well as tripping over something else in the office doorway. I mumbled, "You know I was cleaning, you have to watch where you're walking" and then, since I was following him, tripped over our wedding centerpieces, which were on the office floor--proof a couple of them need rehomed. I at least said, "Birdcages to the left. Steer clear."

We managed to not break any bones in this whole debacle. We're still married, despite my messiness. I did call in the outage to be helpful. Our power company actually sent someone out, and they were there within MINUTES of me hanging up the phone (If you know the problems with the power companies in the DC suburbs, you can understand being delighted with this. My mother has much problems with getting them to come out when they lose power in a storm, since they do it based on how many customers are served by that particular line, and she's on a little line. We don't have these issues.) When I left the problem had not been fixed, but I managed to get dressed in my own clothes, that do match. And that box of stuff is getting put back tonight--oops.

I tried to work on Fresh Fallen Snow last night, but it didn't work out too well. I didn't think this would take me this long to get finished, but, for some reason it has. Hopefully, I can get it done tonight or tomorrow--kind of hard to finish 76 ornaments in a year if I finish one a week, you know. At least I know the fabric I will use to back this, so I don't have to make that hard choice, and, since my finishing bits are getting organized as part of the entire process, it won't be hard to get this done.


Julie M said...

Ouch! Poor toes. Hope the problem is fixed when you get home.

Meari said...

At least you're still married, LOL. 76 ornaments in one year?? Good luck!

Pumpkin said...

Oh dear! It's a wonder he didn't break anything. I know the air would have been blue if my DH tripped over my 'stuff'. LOL!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls