Followers

20 January 2012

Weekend purgatory

If you hear screaming and cursing, wailing and slamming doors this weekend, floating by on the wind, it's not a ghost. It's me. I'm cleaning. As so often happens, my sewing room has become the catch-all room. There are a lot of things in that that need to be taken to Goodwill, as well as decorations for various holidays that don't fit into normal boxes, so they've been dumped unceremoniously in that room. And then we have the stitching items that seem to overflow their storage, and the pull-out couch that is "for guests" which has been replaced by our camper (trust me when I say our camper makes a better guest room than a room full of pull-out couch), that needs to go. I'd like to make a headway on that room this weekend. I told Left-brain this, he said, "Well we need to clean out the office too," and I replied, "Let's not get in front of ourselves here."

My dream for that room would be to have an over-stuffed chair, or at least an arm chair in the corner, with a table for finishing work, and whatever else I could use that room for, with just my stitching lamp on it. That lamp wasn't cheap and it's in the corner of the basement, unused. I'd also like a file cabinet or a shelving unit with those nice decorator baskets on it to store things attractively--why is it that you feel so much more organized if your stuff is stored attractively? And then maybe a dresser in the closet to hold the detritus of my craftiness, and hang more of my framed work up, I think that might actually make it a useful and inviting space.

I can already see, though, the key for me, and the fight, is going to be that, once I get an organization system in place, to stick to it. I have a half-way system that I started last year, where all the orphan thread went in one box, and that was supposed to be the only place I put it, but then but I opened a box last night, and
darned if there wasn't a bag of hand-dyed floss in there, along with a bag of fabric that was SUPPOSED to be in the closet in a drawer in there. It is NO WONDER I can never find what I need, and then I have to go buy more. I CHEAT myself out of a simpler existence through my own unwillingness to commit. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP. What is the point of having these things if I am so unorganized that I can't find them to enjoy them? It's madness.


So my goal is, by the time spring comes, I will be more organized. Our life is going to be a lot more hectic soon and the one thing that I can control is how I maintain that room. It really is up to me. I know that. I'm taking the first step this weekend.

6 comments:

Bette said...

I hear you! I'm trying to do the same thing. First though I've got to continue the purge I started several years ago. Just need to get the stuff sold or donated. I'll be watching your progress.

pandy said...

Good luck with all the organizing! I'll be sure to count the curses on the wind :)

I bought the ALEX unit from Ikea for my things and I absolutely love it. the drawers aren't too deep and they're very wide and everything is within easy reach of my happy chair. :)

Kathy A. said...

Hang in there girl. I know it will be a lot of work but you will enjoy being able to put your hands on something right away. To have your own special spot with your treasures is a good feeling.

Meari said...

Good luck with the organizing. I need to do a better job, too.

Kerri said...

OMG - do you live in my house? I have a room just like that. My problem is I am a piler. My dh says the next house will not have any flat surfaces it it so I can't pile things.

Good luck with the organizing!

Pumpkin said...

Organization is the key ;o) I'd love to come and work on your room for you! LOL!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls