Followers

05 April 2012

Finished

I finished it too late last night to get the photo, but, after 4 years, mostly of inaction, two months of action, a tremendous amount of frogging, and a wee bit of frustration, Hearts of America is done. I would like to say I happy danced, but I think the visual image of that would be shocking.

And I think I may have finally gotten to the point I would like to start something new. After 14 "structured" finishes, I think I have earned the right to have a project that has been a UFO since Never, didn't come from a magazine, and that isn't a monthly project (and I haven't started the quilt square for April, it's killing me).

And that project will be JBW's new Rabbit Sampler. I bought it right after the Nashville show (I know, I seem to be doing a lot of shopping for someone on the wagon. In my own defense, at least it's less than I HAD been doing), and it's been in the scrapbooking folder I carry my current WIP in since it came. Egging me on, you could say. It's a very pretty chart and I think it's just what I need to perk up my spring.

I was looking at floss this morning. I'm not sure I know what color I want to do it in. And, of course, being me, I can't do it in the color the model was done in--too predictable. And I don't have that color, don't have a lot of hand-dyed pinks anyway. Then I looked at Needle Necessities. There are two that strike me as suitable. 178 (Covent Gardens), which is a purple/green, but I know I bought that for a Stoney Creek sampler (this is why I will never write the Great American Novel, or figure out a way to broker world peace, whatever parts of my brain should be taken up with those issues is filled up with cross-stitch details and tidbits of pop culture). or an aqua blue. At least that one, I didn't buy with a specific project in mind for, I just bought it and covet it, like Golum (Ohs, the precious). And there is always my Dye Shop floss or the stuff I bought from Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe. I could use that, but can't seem to definitely pick a color. I know I want to use white fabric, but can't decide if I want to use a traditional red, a nice pale purple, a green, or, if I want to do teal/slate blue, with brown bunnies. That last one is my go-to color combo, but not sure if I should be going spring-like or have something we can have up all year. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

ArchangelDecker said...

Dear Rachel,


I am struggling with changing the color combinations on this piece as well. I was actually thinking about either Crescent Colours Summer Spray cotton floss on a raw linen, CC Rosebud silk floss on white, or hand dyeing a purple and using Threadworx 1082 Cabbage and DMC 3866 for the bunnies. Ack! Too much choice, lol! :)

riona said...

I had to laugh when you mentioned happy dancing ... if you recall, when I finished TW's Tracery Dragons, I did a slow and stately waltz as my happy dance ... I recommend it highly whether for reasons of advanced age or advanced pregnancy! And what is this with rabbits this Spring? I had a similar experience to yours: though I have been buying only fabric and fiber this year, I did break down and buy one chart: Cedar Hill's Briar Patch Rabbit. Odd that we stitcher's experience these same impulses at the same time. Perhaps it has to do with tides, or lunar cycles, or the arrangement of the stars. But you are the fourth or fifth stitcher I have noticed that has been drawn to a rabbit themed stitch ... and we are not talking cutesy Easter bunny stuff, here ... but serious projects.

Candi said...

The hearts of America pattern is beautiful. Can't wait to see it done. I wish I could help you out with the color patterns but I'm not good with that kind of thing .. I' m a stick to the pattern type of girl. I once tried to change colors and I almost had a panic attack trying to figure it out. Good luck!
Best wishes
Candi

Candi said...

Hearts of America is a beautiful pattern... I can't wait to see the finished product. As for the color changes, I wish I could help but I usually stick to the original pattern. The only reason I do this is because I changed colors once and it took me so long and a lot of anxiety to figure it out. Best of luck!
~*Candi*~

Kathy A. said...

Oh now I have this picture of you in a corner fondling your flosses and saying "My Precious? ROFL.
Congrats on the finish!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls