Followers

30 April 2012

Still here, just busy

I know I haven't been around much. This week and weekend were quite draining--spent yesterday boxing up basically everything in the sewing room to move it out. I have no idea what we'll do with my lap frame. I was quite shocked that I had so much stuff, and even more shocked that it fit into 6 18 gallon totes from Lowes. My back was killing me at the end, and I didn't even lift anything heavy, just reached and bent. It sort of bugs me that all my stuff is packed away, including my UFO box and kitted up box, and all my books, but I have to just understand it's temporary, and Left-brain is looking at the shed catalogue. I think we are the epitome of cheap. I don't want to pay to have the thing installed and painted, since my husband is pretty handy, and it can not be $425 worth of work to paint a shed (if it is, I'm in the wrong business), and he doesn't want to pay for a window or shingles (oh, surely the shingles can not be THAT much, if they are, I'm in the wrong business. OK, I guess I'm in the wrong business all in all).

Saturday was my last day at my part-time job, at least for now. I think I mentioned this (sorry if I did), but, instead of leaving permanently, I am taking extended maternity leave, at least til September. I crunched the numbers, I did a lot of soul-searching, and, as much as I hate to think of being away from the baby, this is what it takes to provide for my daughter. And I do admit, that job that I took to fill up my time and help me reach some financial goals, it's important to me to me now and it hurt to think I wouldn't be there in some way, contributing, when it's been such a part of my life the past 20 years (yep, saw my first show there in 1992, I was 15, I can even remember the dress I wore, black and white houndstooth coatdress, with a red patent-leather belt, black patent-leather wingtips, and white socks. The early 90s were a confusing time for fashion). I know the trick is to find the balance, and that will be my project for the next 4 months. I don't know what I'll do to have two days off in a row. I haven't worked a 40 hour week in 4 1/2 years. I'll get spoiled and lazy.

So that is where we're at for now. I picked up my needle this morning, and will try to get back into a rhythm of stitching. Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend. We are looking at warm temperatures this week.  Today is chilly, but all week is in the 70s and 80s. Bring on the summer!

2 comments:

Kathy A. said...

You have been busy. It is always painful when we realize how much stash we have. Just remember - one day you will stitch it all ROFL.
Sending hugs

Meari said...

It'll be good to take the extended leave. You can always decide later to quit if you need to.

So, is DH going to build the shed too?

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls