Followers

02 March 2009

Snowy Monday

We got at least 4 inches of snow from 4AM this morning to this afternoon. That's a lot, considering I don't think we got 4 inches the past two winters combined. And it's nasty stuff, dry and powdery. It blew into the car when I opened the hatchback to get my coat out. We spent the day holed up in bed. SO thinks I am a loon because I finally just now put pants on. It's evening, it's time to be decent.

I've been working on My Kitty most of the day. I am working on her head right now, so a photo is forthcoming, depending on my schedule this week. I work at the theatre 3 days this week, plus work late Wednesday night, plus at some point have to get the car estimated, so I don't know where I'll be all week. But if anyone needs me, check the car.

Natasha and Brea had asked about the rice pudding recipe. It turned out great last night. Not quite the same as it was at the restaurant across from the dorm in college, but this is my first time making it, and they made it all the time. Even SO likes it, and he is NOT a fan of Indian food. Because they don't give you enough. Which, really, when you think about it, at least all the places I have ever gone, is true . . . We had it out of red wine glasses. Neither of us drinks, and the glasses
were sitting there, unused, and homemade rice pudding is something worth being fanchy over. And it did look nice. And it tasted so good!


Here is the recipe in case you need a warm happy dessert.

2 cups coconut milk
2 cups milk
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 cup Basmati rice
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon rose water (optional)
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted


DIRECTIONS
Bring the coconut milk, milk and sugar to a boil in a large saucepan. Add basmati rice, and simmer over low heat until the mixture thickens and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Stir in the raisins, cardamom and rose water, and cook for a few more minutes. Ladle into serving bowls, and garnish with almonds.


I didn't put the rose water in. I don't like rose flavored or scented anything. I blame Turkish Delight. How can something with such a divine name taste so NASTY? YICK. Everytime I see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, in that scene where Edmund is eating it, it makes me ill. That is SO not worth selling your siblings out to a witch for. This pudding is, but that is not! SO also said more raisins, which I heartily agree with him about. You can use your judgement on the raisins though. When I cooked them, they puffed up, but I seem to remember back in college, the place we had them threw them in after it was ladled in the bowl. Brea, do you remember? Either way is DELICIOUS. And don't mess around with not using a big pot, this gets a foam on it when it boils and gets HUGE fast.

So that's it. We had a fancy dinner last night, steaks and salad and pudding. It was cold, we needed to celebrate something!

1 comment:

CindyMae said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. It sounds wonderful!!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls