Followers

22 March 2010

My weekend . . .

was not the most restful.

It's the time for year for the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. HTB played basketball in high school and loves Maryland basketball, and I was a fixture at home games while I was at Kentucky, so we watch with rapt attention, and argue. Friday night, we were up til 12:30 watching the Maryland game. But I had to be at work at 10AM on Saturday, and, therefore, was dragging. Unlike in college, I can no longer be wild as the wind til 4AM and then bounce up and be a productive citizen at 8. Not happening. HTB is now a full-on Cat fan, as his team lost yesterday, and my team beat Wake Forest. Handily. I tried not to razz him too hard, because he was upset, and I've been in his place. Too much lately, but we're good this year.

I had to be at work early on Saturday because we had a children's production, put on the Corbian puppet theatre, Darwin the Dinosaur. If you ever get a chance to see this show, or a puppet show by the company, GO SEE IT! I didn't get to see the whole thing, but the show was about a dinosaur who has to decide to be a nice one or a mean one. The puppets were made with glow in the dark tubing worn by the puppeteers, and it was set to epic music. How many children's shows do you see that use Carmina Burana AND music from The Lord of the Rings and the kids LOVE IT? I told my supervisor we should have had that show as part of our mainstage season. It was that cool. I am impressed that people are actually able to come up with a concept like that and bring it to fruition. It was not something we went over when I was in college. Oh, well.

I tried to finish my humbug this weekend. I'm not done yet. I'm a little annoyed at how they calculate the hours a project will entail. The directions said it would take 10 hours. Either I'm a vastly slower stitcher than the norm, or something is off, because I've worked on this for two weeks, and I'm not done. I know I've spent more than 10 hours on it--heck I worked on it for 5 hours when I took Mom for her doctor's appointment, and wasn't nearly finished. It's all confetti stitching, and backstitching. How can that take ANYONE just 10 hours? I don't get it. But I'm almost finished. I have about half the backstitch completed, and there's just a little bit of regular stitching, then I'll start putting it together. I should have it finished by tomorrow. I hope . . .

2 comments:

riona said...

My sympathies ... I too am a slow stitcher ... I spent part of this past weekend timing my progress in order to estimate how much longer it will take me to prep my round robin piece ... the results were somewhat depressing!

Julie M said...

Ah yes, the curse of the slow stitcher. I feel your pain. It takes me forever and ever to finish anything and it's not because I'm not stitching on it either. Hang in there!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls