Followers

23 June 2010

The beat goes on . . .

Thank you for the suggestions of books to include. You all have suggested great ones, or supported me in what I thought of sending her. Heck, I may send two or three books to keep from stinting her, LOL.

Not much exciting happened yesterday around here. We're on a quest to find suitable summer fruit, which, despite where we live, is not that easy. I can never get over to the farmer's market in town to get fruit and the best places I know are quite a distance away and aren't open when I am able to get to them. Our Safeway has awful fruit, but I bought nectarines there last week, which HTB ate and never said anything, so I bought him some more last night, and the one he tried to eat . . . ohhhh, it has nearly turned me off nectarines. Mealy and tasteless, like eating styrofoam . . . I'm still gagging. Mom is giving us peaches from the orchard we used to go to when I was small, and they may be our fruit vendor for the summer. I'm almost tempted to drive over to the Eastern Shore to stock up-we have YET to get bad produce from the stands along the road. I wonder what people do if they have no other alternative? If mealy nectarines are all there are, what do you do?

Surprise, surprise, I picked up Hummingbird Trellis afghan last night to work on it. I'm setting a goal for myself to have two squares finished by the end of the year and to work on finishing it in 2011. On top of everything else, I know. If I get Squares 3 and 8 done this year, that is a fairly large accomplishment, and it's time I get this afghan done, since I started it in 2005, frogged and restarted in 2006. 4 or 5 years is too long for one project. The stitching itself is not that bad, it's handling all that fabric--it's heavy, it gets in the way, it's an effort to flip the q-snaps to start and stop. I have Nature's Home afghan around too, to start, but I've decided I'll do that as quilt squares and then sew them together.

I hope the week is progressing well for everyone.

2 comments:

Missy said...

The afghan sounds like it will be a beauty.

I feel your frustrations when it come to ggod produce. I live in a tourist town where the emphasize is on potato chips more than fresh fruit. I drive about 40 minutes to get a supply of fresh fruit and veggies.

hugs
-missy-

Pumpkin said...

I completely understand your frustration with fresh fruit. DH and I FINALLY got a pint of local strawberries and that's only because of our neighbors. Peaches are not what they used to be. This whole bigger the better attitude has really changed the quality of our food.

Good for you! Not what I'd want to be stitching in the summer though ;o)

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls