Followers

17 June 2010

Thanks!

thank you all for listening to my awkward rant the other day. I think things are going to be OK. I am trying to remember that, no matter what, this is a day that is about the commitment we are making to each other, so all this petty arguing is nothing. Mom and I had it out the other night. I think she finally admitted what the problem is; she wants control because she thinks the guests will hold her responsible for how good the hall looks. I told her that if anyone shares a negative opinion about the wedding in her presence, a) tell them it's what I wanted, b) tell me about it and c) have bail money ready, so that, when I deck them for sharing their opinion, I won't be in jail too long. I'm utterly serious about this; I've been to weddings where things weren't the way I would have done them, but I never said anything to the parties involved. It's not my call to make.

HTB and I do think we have a theme: birds. I have seen some lovely arrangements in bird cages, and after seeing some dove release baskets, I got some ideas. Birds have always had a lot of meaning to me--they are effortlessly beautiful (think cardinals in winter snow or geese flying, silhouetted against an autumn sunset), their music, some mate for life, and what is more symbolic of the new life of spring than a robin's nest? I've found some lovely cake toppers with that theme, I think it would be both elegant and a touch of fun. HTB really took to it; he was able to visualize the ideas and like it, although I can't convince him that I would be absolutely darling with peacock feathers in my hair. Oh, well . . .

I worked on the ring pillow last night. We were watching Triple X with Vin Diesel. A fun movie, different, not one I would have chosen, but HTB was putting ribbons and bells on bottles of wedding bubbles, so I was accommodating. He has even consented to going to Hobby Lobby with me tomorrow night after work to look for decorative bird cages. Which will be, to the best of my reckoning, the second time he has ever been to a craft store. At least HL has lighthouses for him to look at, too. I didn't get a lot done, but I can see the finish line on it. After the movie was over, we watched Ghost Hunters. He dislikes the show (mainly, I think he's a bit jealous of my tiny crush on Jason--he got upset because he grew a goatee, then Jason had one, then he shaved, and Jason shaved. I told him that he is not the only bald man in America to grow a goatee, and that he's much handsomer than Jason. His reply, "H$LL, yeah." Modesty, thy name is HTB, LOL.). I do have to admit, last night's episode was a bit silly. I got him laughing because I was repeating what they were saying in my deep voice. I was just practicing my ghost hunting skills, but if I'm cracking up my partner, I may need more practice. And of course his laughing got me laughing and it was OVER. No more stitching. We do things like that all the time; I think one of the reasons that I fell in love with HTB is that, for as serious as he is, when we're just sitting around, we goof off, and he is HILARIOUS without even trying. He asked about a lighthouse design, and I told him I kitted it up, to which he replied, "Hey, don't be using all those technical terms with me.", and I started laughing.

I hope everyone is having a good week and is getting lots of stitching done. I am hopeful to get at least one project done by Sunday. The WIPs are breeding like rabbits, something needs to be done to stop the spread!

3 comments:

Julie M said...

Glad you are feeling better about things. HTB sounds like a fun guy. I like the bird theme, good luck finding just the right birdcage!

Annie said...

Sounds like you've calmed down and adjusted your attitude. Good to let all out once in a while and even better to pull it back in and chill after you've re-considered.

Back to your regularly scheduled stitching and wedding planning!

Terri said...

I am really glad you are feeling better. And your dh sounds wonderful for you. I'm glad you found him as well :)
Thanks for the laugh

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls