Followers

28 June 2010

A warning

We have dangerous stairs.

For a lot of reasons.

It is where carpet meets tile means laminate floors. Slick city. We eat downstairs. This means maneuvering plates of food down two flights of stairs. Hoping not to slip. Or drop.

I've managed to slip twice. First time was an early date with HTB. It involved spaghetti. I managed to hold on to my spaghetti. I think this is why he continued to date me.

The second time, this winter, I dropped red hot buffalo wing chicken dip. It started off here.



And it bounced here. There were large glops of it right where the stair meets the wall.



It came to rest somewhere at the mid point of these stairs.



HTB just walked away. His face looked bad. The remnants of dip didn't look too good. The carpet looked worse. We were making it to eat while watching the Cowboys play. They looked the worst.

Did I mention we have white carpet?

Did I mention there was orange dip all over the foyer? And by all, it was eye level the whole way down. Arcs of chicken, cream cheese, and hot sauce.

4 hours in all it took to clean. I had an aversion to all the above ingredients for a few months. HTB made the dip again, but he used less hot sauce, and he carried it downstairs. He who drops is he who cleans . . .

We need a warning system to keep us safe.

Thank goodness I stitched one.





Thank goodness I had backing fabric. In the perfect pattern. And cording remnants, enough to go round. And I can halfway tie a bow.



We're safe now. It's not the best first attempt at an easel finish, but it was pretty good. I have a book about Maryland lighthouses, there were a few "off" attempts. They were a good start and served a need, and when they knew better, they did better.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Well, thank goodness you are safe now! ;) What a cute stand-up finish. Love the coordinating fabric with your perfect stitching.

Nick said...

Your nautical finish looks great! I know all too well the dangers of stairs! We have a completely finished basement, and my bedroom is one of the rooms down there. Well one of the first times I worked a late night shift I thought I could be all nija Nick and make it down the stairs without a light, well I certainly learned I am no nija Nick! lol The bruised eye and cut lip from missing the last stair and turning face first right into the corner of the wall was proof!

Missy said...

SCOTCH GUARD come in a spray can~~ LOL LOL LOL

I could actually see dropint the wings!! LOL


Great finish.

Julie M said...

Love your finish. You did a great job your first time out of the gate!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Yikes on those stairs!

And I love your flatfold! Very nicely done :)

Meari said...

Congrats on your finish. It's really cute. Yeah, I'm sure hot wing sauce all over the white was not a pretty sight.

Siobhán said...

Super finish!! I love it, and your finishing is perfect. I hear you on the stairs. We bought a house in the same neighborhood where we rented for five years. The layout of the houses are the same except that things are on opposite sides. DH came up to bed late one night, looked in on the kids, turned to go down the hall to our room... and met air. He fell down the stairs cursing the whole way down. Thank God he was okay, but we've since kept a nightline on at night!!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls