Followers

31 January 2011

A Crazy January finish, a WIP, and a new start

I was a busy stitcher this weekend.

I had to get out of the house Friday night. I hadn't left it since Tuesday afternoon, thanks to a 13 inch snowfall, and we were starting to run low on food, so Left-brain got my car out of the space and I went to what was, to me, the happiest place on earth, the grocery store. It was a joy, especially because I got to see people I'm not related to. I stocked us up for the storm that is supposed to come through tonight through Wednesday, and came home to stitch.

I finished Hope Perches. I'm happy with it. It will look fantastic when it's finished into a pillow, something fresh and springy to remind me that better times are ahead. This is the second Crazy January start I've finished. Woo hoo!



With the finish, I rotated in another Crazy January start on Saturday. I had thought about doing another little one, but I know myself well enough to know that, if I do all the smalls first, I will be stuck at the end with the big projects and a chip on my shoulder, so I'm going to go back and forth with them. I think that's a more efficient way to do it. I chose Patriotic Summer to work on.



I had to frog out one of the flowers--the colors and symbols were very close, and so I, given a 50/50 chance of getting it right, got it wrong. But I got a little progress done. We went to my in-laws' house to celebrate his dad's birthday, so it wasn't a lot, but every little bit helps. I don't think this will take that long to work on, it's fun, like all of Midsummer Night Designs' pieces. And the colors are so pretty and fun to work with.

Yesterday I started Dimensions' Barnyard Kitties. It's my projects for the special contest at the state fair. I'm hopeful the judge won't nitpick that these are 'kittens', not 'cats', but if I don't win, it's OK.


I really like working on this project. Most of what I've gotten done was in a 5 hour stitching session. For a Dimensions project, this is a lot of progress, and it didn't feel like a hassle. The fabric is 14 count, and so it's not that hard to pull the floss through (nothing like trying to jam 3 strands of floss through 18 count aida to get the ol' heart pumping). They even cut the fabric decently--it's two inches on each side, so it shouldn't be too bad to frame. I do need to have good light, though, in order to work. This may be a lunch time and high daylight project. And, when I scrunched it to remove the sizing (I normally don't do that anymore, but I had to with this), it left white marks on the fabric. I think they'll wash out fine, though.

So that's my weekend. I appreciate all the comments on Betsy. I am beyond pleased to have her done and done well. Now to cross fingers that she'll look good in the frame.

Hoping everyone is having a great start to their week.

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Congrats on your 2nd crazy finish for the challenge. Love the barn yard kittens, just googled the pattern and it is going to be so cute when finished.

riona said...

Okay, I am jealous that you have two Crazy January Challenge finishes already ... but I am closing in on a second one, as well ... I should have Sue Hillis' Cookie Santa done in a few more days. I am trying to do my Crazy January pieces in chronological order since that will provide a nice variation of BAP to large to medium to small. I am considerung the Santa a large piece since it finishes up to fit in an 8x10 frame. Next up will be The Ice Dragon's Kingdom, our little unofficial SAL, which I will also be considering a large piece.

I think your Barnyard Kitties project will be adorable and has real potential as a prize-winner. Good luck with that.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Great stitching - will be watching the kittens

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

LOVE it, Rachel!! I'm going to show it off on Facebook.

Tanya :)

mbroider said...

I love kittens, hope the judge does too!

Kathy A. said...

Wonderful work you are doing. 2 finishes already!!! Godd for you.
Love your kittens - they are cats too! I hope you do real well with them at the fair

Pumpkin said...

That's awesome! Congrats on your second finish :o)

Great progress on Patriotic Summer. You definitely got A LOT done on your kitten project!

da coach said...

glad to see sewing is not a lot art

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls