Followers

10 January 2011

Day 10--Arrghhh and Blarrrghhh

Diane Graebner does beautiful work. I LOVE her Amish designs--they make my heart happy. I chose Sharing with Our Deer Friends as my Day 10 start, because it's calming and beautiful.

Can I just say I hate the way she charts the designs?

They're hand-drawn, which does something to me. Something bad. It makes it hard for me to stick with them.

That happens quite a lot with hand-drawn charts. I know it's a rather silly tic I have, because, when I started stitching, there were a lot more hand-drawn charts being sold than not, but I guess, as I've aged and my eyesight worsens, I just can't do it well anymore. And that bums me out because I love these charts and I collect them. I wonder why she still does them this way? I would probably stitch all of them, joyfully, if they were just charted using software. But maybe I just need to get new glasses now rather than later. I'm going to get this done, but just don't expect a lot from this start today.

I will have to post a photo of Patriotic Summer a little later. I worked on it a lot yesterday and it works up quite quickly, but I left the camera on all day by mistake and lost the charge in the battery. I am a bit concerned because I'm stitching it on 32 count, not the 40 that the chart calls for, so I'm a bit concerned I'm going to run out of overdyed floss, but I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it. I should have put a bit more thought into it when I was buying the supplies, since I don't use 40 count. But I'm going to cross my fingers and hope she didn't really need the entire skein of floss when she designed it.

3 comments:

riona said...

Don't care much for hand drawn charts myself but with my handy-dandy graduated lens, I am managing The Stitcher, one of the very early Homespun Elegance charts, in my challenge. The thing I really dislike, though, is the old Dragon Dream policy of printing charts on an olive green card stock ... the poor contrast makes it very difficult for these old eyes to manage even with my glasses. Yes, I know Jennifer Aiken-Smith was trying to outwit the copyright violators but, really, I wonder how many sales she lost because people found them so hard to read. Since you have The Ice Dragon's Kingdom in your stash as well, I am sure you know what I mean!

Anonymous said...

I also have a thing against hand-drawn charts! There have been LOTS of Shepherd's Bush designs/kits I would have purchased, but I know I'd never be able to stitch them :(

Pumpkin said...

I agree with you there Rachel. I find the hand drawn charts hard to read too and I have excellent eyesight ;o)

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls