Followers

07 April 2014

Harbingers of Spring

 
 
This is my new WIP. Giving Us Spring, by Sanman. It's an older freebie, not sure if it was for the message board or a website freebie. It has such pretty colors of floss. The only changes I am making on it are in the backstitching. The outlining is supposed to be in black but I think that is too harsh. I am changing the wording backstitch to a DMC overdyed and the outline in 3799. I think it will work better.


We did get to Hobby Lobby this weekend. The weather was so nice for once. It was cool, but it was sunny. Cabin fever was so overwhelming, it was good to get out. We went to Hobby Lobby, sidetracked to Sonic for some lunch, and then hit Walmart. I didn't get any great deals at HL, but they put their 4th of July stuff out, so I treated us to that, and then a few small things. I'll do a post about that later. We actually got to the SuperWalmart in Hanover, and, after our rinky-dinky Wallyworld, it was a nice change. Someone Small is now obsessed with "feesh", so we spent some time in the fish department, waving to them and blowing kisses.  When we had to pull away, she yelled, "Bye, feesh!"

It was kind of sad, as we were driving up there, to see the extent of the damages from that terrible ice storm. There is not a single willow that I've seen that survived unscathed. Most are as bad as ours are, but, the branches are broken so high up that it doesn't seem like an easy job to trim them. So who knows how long it will take for the branches to fall and the trees to stop looking like they have been chewed. It is such a shame.

We got a pleasant visit yesterday afternoon. I was in Baltimore, and, coming back through Metro  Crazyville, I saw these two balloons. No big thing, we get them a lot, because it's pretty rural out here and they can take off and land. It's very calming. 

One was up high:
 
But this one went right over the development, at one point less than 20 feet over the houses. I think he was having some issues, because he was calling down to someone in a truck.
 
 

 
Someone Small kept yelling, "Hi, B'loon." and "HEYYYY!" and waving frantically. She loves "b'loons" anyway, and I think she thought some kid let go of the string on this one. I never realized how LOUD they are. Probably because I've never been this close to one (the idea of being up in the air, sans bathroom, with just the basket floor between me and the ground, is too much for me. I like to look at them, not big on riding in one). 



And it drifted off into the sunset. Just a kind of cool way to end the weekend.

I'll do a post about the stuff I got at HL a little later. I did find some nice jewelry fixin's and charms--they are, quite honestly, much better for that than the other stores. Til then, have a great day!

3 comments:

stitchersanon said...

Aw...had to smile at you blowing kisses to 'feesh' lol. Willows are quite hardy: they tend to grow bushier if they are coppiced, even if the coppicing is done au natural ie frost storm xx

Carol said...

Pretty new start, Rachel! I remember getting cabin fever during those long winter months when my sons were little... Glad you got out for a bit this weekend and Hobby Lobby is a perfect destination :)

Love the photo of your daughter watching the hot air balloon--so sweet!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Great start :-) there is something magical about balloons isn't there x

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls