Followers

30 November 2010

31 More Days

Tomorrow starts the countdown to the end of my year of stitching freebily.

A year ago, I set out on a vow to only start new projects if they were freebies. I could work on UFOs or already-started WIPs, and I allowed myself the "out" of continuing with SALs and stitching retail or magazine charts if they were needed for that. And there was the wedding pillow, and my fair project that never was, but those were the only exceptions to my rule.

I thought I would be limited, I thought I would rely very heavily on my UFO/WIP stash to keep me going, because I would hate just stitching free charts. Now I wish I'd gotten more free charts done. If I hadn't stitched those other charts, maybe I'd have had more time.

When I started this, I had very silly pre-conceived notions of freebies. They were simple. I wouldn't have a good selection to choose from. They wouldn't be as "nice" as a retail chart. But over the last year, I've learned there are some really GREAT charts out there for the mere price of printer ink and time invested in finding them. Charts that moved me, charts that inspire me, charts that make my heart happy. Charts that make me think we stitchers are pretty darn lucky, because the designers aren't making us pay for them. And there really truly is a freebie for everything; if I can find a dragon worshipping the baby Jesus, the sky is the limit.

What I have found this year that saddens me immensely is the number of charts shared on Multiply and other sites as freebie charts that were not intended to be free. That bothers me. Why steal a Mirabilia when Minguistitch does a free chart that is in the same vein, just as pretty, and LEGAL? Besides, everyone knows a Mirabilia; why not be the person who sets off a frenzy trying to locate the Minguistitch chart? It's just a thought . . .

But, for me, the thing that will mark this year is that I did it. I have a tendancy to set goals, then give up on them too easily when they require a little more effort than I want to put out. Discipline is doing something even when it's not always fun, and it did take some discipline, especially when the finishes weren't free-flowing early in the year. I know I could have easily said, "I don't want to do this anymore. I'm stopping the project," but I didn't. This feels important to me in my development as a stitcher and I wanted to get it accomplished. It feels good looking back and seeing that I'm so close to getting it done. I just have to stick it out through December, but I have confidence in myself.

8 comments:

Stitchinowl said...

I've enjoyed seeing your freebie finishes throughout the year. Although not nearly as many as you have, I also stitched a few freebies this year. I do agree there are tons of lovely freebies out there.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. It was an ambitious project and you are almost there!

Julie M said...

Congratulations on almost reaching your goal! Just a few more short weeks and then you will have achieved it!

It is very sad that people feel the need to steal someone elses hard work when there are so many beautiful charts out there like you said that are free for the taking.

Pumpkin said...

It must feel good that you kept to your goal and with only 31 days left, you don't have much longer!

I think there are SO many wonderful and amazing freebies out there that gracious designers have shared with us. I agree with you...why is there a need to duplicate the charts that are to be sold? Good point!

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Congrats !! Only 31 more days ! I know you can do it !!

riona said...

Congratulations on keeping to a goal ... and on making a point. I think anyone looking at the photos of your finishes this year would be hard put to distinguish the free from the purchased unless they recognized a freebie they had stitched themselves. You certainly found some beauties.

I have so many charts in my stash, either purchased during my mad buy-everything-in sight-that-I-liked period or in magazine format, that I have made a somewhat similar vow for the past few years ... only purchasing five new charts a year and limiting all other purchases to fabric, fiber or embellishment needed to stitch charts that I already have.
Stitching can be an affordable form of entertainment.

Bette said...

Congratulations on achieving your goal. I have really enjoyed seeing all your frrebies you have done. Makes me want to try it myself next year.

Meari said...

You've done great with your freebie stitching this year. Kudos to you!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls