Followers

29 November 2010

Happy Holidays!

I guess it's not too soon to say that? I have started wearing my holiday things--a Christmas cat pullover on Friday, a snowflake sweater yesterday to work, and today a sweatshirt with a Schipperke giving a snowman the hairy eyeball.

It was a lovely long weekend here in Crazyville. We enjoyed Thanksgiving with our families on Thursday. We got home at 11:30, stuffed to the gills with delicious food and thankful for the blessings the past year have brought.

My mom mentioned last week that she wanted to go to a greenhouse in Virginia to see their Christmas displays. I have vague memories of the area from when I took Chancey to puppy school over there many many years ago, so I took her. Robbie was quivering to get to go bye-byes with me, so we packed him up and went; Mom was afraid someone would steal him out of the car for a Christmas present, but I told her that was highly unlikely because he's old, he's got some bald spots and he's kind of annoying, albeit a cute annoying. Besides, we were 100 feet from the car at all time, and he would have given anyone heck for getting near the car; there's a reason I call the twins "The mouth of the South." It was funny, though; we pulled into the parking lot at the greenhouse, I looked to the left, and there was the building we had puppy school in. I think Robbie even went to school there, though he had a different class meeting time than his sister--the breeder asked if I wanted to go in the mornings with Chancey, but I had to work.

We had a nice morning, walking around, looking over the artificial trees. They were a bit nicer than my Walmart tree, but they had a price to match their beauty. I just couldn't see spending $400 on a Christmas tree, but I thought they were so lovely. I bought a few ornaments to hang on my tree--they were cute--and admired the way the trees were decorated. It would be nice to have a theme tree--they had ones that were just gorgeous, especially a red flocked tree with mittens and woolens all over it, but I know I couldn't stick to one theme, not really. I think teal and copper whimsy is limiting enough for me, don't you think?

I had to work Friday night, so I didn't want to come home, then turn back around to go to work down-county, so we had made plans to check out the new Hobby Lobby in Laurel, but when I got back to the house, I didn't feel well, so I took a nap for a bit. When I woke up, we did a flying run to the Hobby Lobby . . .

and, y'all, it was like the angels sang . . .

I love me the Hobby Lobby. I know I have said this before, but I just love it . . . in a way that probably doesn't make sense if you live near a Hobby Lobby that has been open for a while. But it's nice to be able to buy fabric, floss, home decor, gift wrap and good picture frames in one place. Michaels and AC Moore don't have all that together; AC Moore has a terrible frame selection. My aunt fell upon the cowboy art section like she had found her ancestral home; I think the angels sang for her too. She bought a cookie jar. I had more restraint--I bought some stuff I needed for finishing, and spent less than $10. But I'll be back.

Oh, yes, Hobby Lobby, I'll be back . . .

We hit up the thrift store after that. I didn't find much, just a music box with a tabby cat on it. It worked and was cute, so it came home. You find a lot of music boxes at the thrift store; do people get annoyed with them so quickly?

Saturday, I decided to open up the box my artificial tree came in, to see what sort of base it had. I have to say this, it's a really good tree for what I paid for it. Solid base, branches that you insert and fluff (I love having the option of taking out branches for a feather tree effect) and the branches are pretty thick. It also does not hurt if you have to stick your face in it for any reason--my reason was shoving the branches into the trunk. I did realize too late that my blue lights have a green cord, which sticks out on my white tree, but it will work. I know that Walmarts' selection of blue lights was not extensive, so pointless to go back and look, and it doesn't look bad. I hung the ornaments I had at hand on the tree, including Shocka's memorial ornament. I do admit, I started crying a little when I did that; I would rather have had him, snoozing next to Beazer, than to have the last connection with him be a little ornament, but I know that isn't how it was supposed to be.

Luckily, my sister-in-law and niece came up for the town Christmas parade. It was SOOOO cold, but we bundled up well and headed downtown. My resolution for 2011 is to become more aware of the local community, so it's a start. I'm still learning to embrace my city, even though I've lived up here for two years, so it was fun to just walk around and see what the city has to offer. And the parade was great! It was a long parade--we waved at all the floats, and oohed and ahhed over the pretty horses that marched. Just a really fun night, capped off with dinner and apple fritters at a little family restaurant that has great prices (I knew about that one--if it involves food, this fat girl knows about it, LOL).

I made a goal this holiday season to enjoy the festivities as much as I can. I know I spend way too much time in December working and worrying about how to make the holiday perfect. I realize now, perfection isn't found wrapped in shiny paper, or as a balance in a bank account. Perfection is an experience, savored and carried in our hearts: the perfect apple fritter, watching a child color a Christmas ornament, a heart-achingly beautiful version of "O Holy Night." And that is what I want my holidays to be about. That is my wish, and I think I'm on my way to that.

1 comment:

Meari said...

You are so right about perfection. Enjoy the holidays! :)

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls