Followers

15 November 2010

Hopefully this won't offend anyone--a new finish

I'm putting this out there, because I know how people feel about religion and it's too early in the week for me to want to make someone mad. Some people are very particular about depictions of Jesus, especially at Christmas. To me, it blends the things Christmas essentially is, the mysteries of faith with the magic and whimsy of childhood, but I appreciate others' feelings.




I have had this in my files since it was a Christmas gift in 2003. It's "Dragon at the Manger" by Dragon Dreams. I think it is probably one of my favorite things I have stitched this year, and I am becoming more and more enchanted with Dragon Dreams' designs as I stitch more of them. I did have a hard time finding a finish of this online for a backstitch guide, but I think I did it right--he doesn't look wonky to me.

I spent a lot of yesterday trying to figure out how I was going to finish it in a way that completes the "story". I toyed with stitching words over top and bottom, leaving it be as enough, but it felt kinda flat. I even thought I'd do a simple finish, and back it with glittering green felt, but somehow that didn't feel right; Jesus is not glittery! I've had this tuck since a Christmas card exchange last year. It was a gift--what a fantastic gift! I've been trying to figure out what to put in it, since it has a very small opening, and, when I was walking around last night, I remembered I had it. I guess it was just waiting for this finish. I think it's perfect; it feels like the little dragon and Jesus are in the forest, a very quiet and personal moment together, which really is how I view my religious faith.

Anyway, I hope my ramblings make sense. I really loved this piece, a pretty little respite from the bigger things I've been working on. I hope everyone is having a great start to their week.

10 comments:

riona said...

I have always loved Dragon Dreams charts and am very sorry that Jennifer Aiken-Smith has moved on to other pursuits ... but this is the first time I have seen this little guy. I tink you did a lovely job with it.

Sew Wilde said...

I love it! It is very cute.

Julie

Melissa said...

Very cute!

Bronzemom said...

"All creatures great and small" -- 'real or fantasy', too!

I love it!

Terri
bronzemom

Vicky said...

Love the finish :)

Pumpkin said...

Very lovely Rachel! I'd say that tuck was perfect for this finish :o)

My Life In Stitches said...

Adorable! I have been a fan of DD for years, have lots of her designs, but I don't recall ever having seen this one. Very cute!
Happy Stitching,
Annette

Lori said...

I have a collection of DD's, but I don't think I snagged that one.

It's adorable and I'm definitely not offended.

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

I have a lot of DD - jennifer's freebies. I don't have this one. I think it is cute. Dragons are creatures of Folklore and there is that Big real ( can't remember lizards name) Bearded Dragon. So it is a creature of God. Happy Stitching!

Siobhán said...

I am all about the reason for the season being Jesus, but I don't think He would be opposed to a bit of fun and whimsy. Great finish!

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls