Followers

02 October 2007

A near-disaster

I have a little Secret Needle Night kit listed as a WIP. It's an older kit, from October 2005. It was one of the things that I was working on right around when my grandmother was killed, and I've avoided doing those things for a long time, because they have really bad connotations. New Birth of Spring was one of them, and this was another. It was in the mailbox when I got home from going to see the Focus and pick out what of her possessions we could salvage, picking Chancey up at the fire department up in Hagerstown. I tried to work on it, but at that point, my mind was in what I call the, "Hmm?" phase, as in, "Hmmm, so this is what it's like to have your safe little world implode, rather like riding one of those playground carousels." Anyway, I couldn't do it, and put it in the boxes in the basement, I haven't even looked at it in two years, but I started working on it the other week. I am trying to be cowgirl tuff, as my darling aunt puts it. I finished New Birth of Spring this summer, and that was good therapy for me, because I got a lot of thinking done, but this was harder to work on. No dang wonder I put it down, it's hard to deal with the death of a loved one while working with Fancy Fur--I know that sounds like I am being flip, but I couldn't do it.

Anyway, I was humming away on it, have one of the little turkeys nearly done, didn't take it to CATS because I wanted to do other things, so I grabbed it up to put in my work bag yesterday, got to work and realized the fabric was not in the bag. The directions were, my work bag was full of the fibers, but no fabric. Well that just made me sick. I checked my car, not there, checked under my desk, went and rechecked the car, thought, maybe it didn't actually get into my work bag and was home, (which I have to admit, even in my mind made no sense because I SAW it go into the bag and even wondered if that was the best idea), and then last night accepted it was gone. I figured it probably fell out in the parking garage and one of the stockbrokers from downstairs took it or else the janitors threw it out. And that made me sick to my stomach.

This morning I walked out to go to work, put my bag in the car, and then, for some reason, looked over to where I had been parked yesterday morning. There was a paper/fabric thing lying in the street. I went over and it was my piece! And it wasn't ruined. I am really surprised at that because it was out all night and there was a car parked in that spot last night, and it could have dripped fluids down on it. It was a little damp from the dew, but otherwise intact. YAY! I am so relieved, but I think this is a message that this needs to be finished before we have any other mishaps.

1 comment:

Pumpkin said...

I would say! What a freaky thing to happen but I'm SO happy you were able to find it. Weird...

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls