Followers

29 May 2008

Sue Hillis Stitch-in, Day 2

We woke up on Saturday morning, thanks mostly to Nancy's cellphone alarm going off. It's funny, no matter what you're dreaming of, those ringtones will just cut in and jar you awake. They don't appear to sync with any dream you can possibly have, not to mention they are annoying as anything. I was determined to get my sheep finished Saturday, so I started early. I am sure Nancy and Chrissy thought I was a freak because I was stitching in the half-light, LOL.

We got breakfast, and headed to the stitching room. Everyone was there, including Lesley, who came from Australia for the Stitch-in (she also visited a new grandbaby, but this is not the point). They were offering classes, but it was far more fun to sit and stitch. Someone started a swapping table and that was great. I found several nice things, including the Cherished Teddy Nativity leaflet, which I have never seen. My mother did ask what was the point of taking things down, if I just brought stuff back; I explained I gave away what I didn't want and got what I did want! I am just glad those charts got homes where they would be appreciated, and I am sure someone else feels the same about the charts they gave away. We were on our own for lunch, so bopped over to the gas station for snacks; since I didn't have a lot of time to be there, I didn't want to waste it at a restaurant, we would be eating at Sue's, and I never eat much when I am around other stitchers. Too excited to be with my people, LOL.

We headed over to Sue's a little after 2. I wore my hat--next time, I must get me a better one, I think. Nancy made a redneck teaparty hat, and a lady from near the Pennsylvania line had a lovely teaparty hat with bunnies on it. They won the hat contest, and we had a nice time sitting out on Sue's lawn, drinking iced tea and chatting. I did discover that strawberries in iced tea are DELICIOUS, one for the whoda thunk file. Sue has two pretty kitties, Lucy and Ethel, one of whom was standing in the door as if she were the mistress of the manor, greeting us. We got nice goodie bags with Hershey Kisses, a Cherry Ripe from Australia (do people in other countries get as excited about our candy as we get about theirs?), and a bunch of lovely charts. And I can always use a tote!

When the afternoon wore down, we headed back to the hotel for more stitching. Libby and Simchah were unable to make the morning Hardanger class, so I offered to show them Hardanger. They are both very talented stitchers, and picked it up quick, though I did have to tell Simchah that it was OK that her piece wasn't perfect from the get go. It's not the easiest form of stitching to do, but just the fact she was willing to try and she didn't give up says quite a lot about her. Not to mention, Libby is a wonderfully supportive friend and kept encouraging her. It really is a pleasure to teach people like them.

I really wanted to stay, but I wanted to spend time with SO, and it was a long drive back to where he lives, so I left at 8:45. It was hard to go, because we were having fun, and there just isn't enough time in the day . . . Traffic wasn't too bad coming home, Rolled in the door at home at midnight, which was good, because I was going up past Baltimore, and that's an extra hour up 95, so not really bad time.

I really want to have my own stitch in. I think it would be fabulous to have a group of stitchers and just have us a party, totally relaxed, close to LNSs, close to attractions, but just a laid-back atmosphere. I am seriously working on getting one started.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Count me in on that. We're moving to PA next week, but it's still not that far for me to get down to the MD area!

Pumpkin said...

That definitely sounds like a great time. No wonder you found it hard to leave :o)

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls