Followers

26 January 2010

A finally finished much older finish . . . and finishing S.E.X

I finished this Sunday night. It's an older Val's Stitching Stuff freebie I did in 2003; I only remember because I left the fibers at my parents' house one weekend, and was on the road for work a lot back then, and stopped in between appointments to pick them up. It's been in my finishes box for seven years, and I finally decided to finish it.

The trim is made with eyelash yarn. I couldn't find the right trim for it, and, when I was in Michaels on Saturday, I got inspired. One strand was too thin, I didn't want to make it into cording because that would lose the fluffiness and "strandiness" of the fiber, so two was out. But three strands braided together was just perfect. All I had to do was stop every few braids and make sure the sides were "foofed", by pulling out the strands. It's a funky way to finish it, but I like the effect. It looks a bit like bunny fluff or whiskers. And I think this could be good for Christmas finishes or girly finishes. It's different.



I also got some long-awaited finishing stash in the mail last night. I ordered this right before New Years from www.equilter.com and it got clogged up in the postal system. I was beginning to think it would never get here. And I was really bummed. Because this is such super cute fabric, particularly the Halloween fabric. Look at the tiny jack o'lanterns! Look at the black cats! Awesomeness personified. On top of how cute that cat fabric on the right is, one of the tiny motifs is the cat, mice and singing pumpkins from my Halloween Chorus WIP.I didn't know it when I ordered it, but I love it. I may finish this as a cube now, I don't know.




I did do a bit more finishing last night, but it's not complete. I have a cube half finished, waiting for me to have the time to concentrate on making the wrap-around part--I'm not so good at the straight-line concept and, although I've seen them made, this is the first cube I've actually worked on, and I don't want to mess it up. HTB is taking an avid interest in this finishing, since his mancave has been turned into a fabric showroom, so I'm trying to get things done and out of there. He asked me who the cube is for. I told him it's a Halloween decoration. After all, he asked me, in order to save money for the wedding, to stop buying things for the house. He didn't say stop making them. I have a rack of stuff to do and finish for holidays, LOL.

14 comments:

riona said...

Saw your post of the finish on the 123stitch mb but didn't have time to comment there ... very clever, using the fake fur to make eyelash braid! It's a sweet finish and well in time for the Easter holidays ... heck we haven;t even gotten past Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday.

Sew Wilde said...

What a cute finish! I love the trim!! It looks like rabbit fur.

Julie

Annie said...

Very cute finish. Fun idea to use the eyelash yarn.

Those are really nice prints for finishing fabbies too. Glad the mail finally came through!

Unknown said...

Hi,
what apretty finish and nice fabrics.

Chiloe said...

So there's hope for all my finished pieces unframed, unfinished ? lol I love your new stash !!!

Lainey said...

Love that trim on your finish Rachel. Enjoy playing with your new fabric, the little scottie dog is so cute!

Daffycat said...

Truly awesome finish, Rachel! I love that yarn as trimming ~ way too cool! Can you crochet at all, I forget? A single chain crochet stitch might work too.

Love your fabric stash. How cute are those pumpkins!

Blu said...

Nice finish! Love the way you've used the trim.
Nice stash!

Vicky said...

Love the finish and the fabric stash that just arrived is awesome.

Kathy A. said...

I absolutely love the finish on this one. You have done a wonderful job. Won't it be gorgeous at Easter.

Bette said...

Your bunny is so cute! And the trim is perfect for it.

Louise said...

beautiful finish! Love the trim too :)
raggedystitches,
Louise

Meari said...

Your finish is adorable! Good luck on your cube. I use a quilters ruler and rotary cutter to get my straight lines. Those disappearing ink felt pens are great for drawing lines, too.

Pumpkin said...

OMG! I LOVE that bunny!!!! Where did you get it? You said it was a freebie but I know I don't have it in my stash :o(

That is SO funny because I just bought some of that pumpkin fabric the other day :o)

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls