Followers

12 January 2010

Update

I started a new project yesterday. It's a Bent Creek freebie called Hare Lines. I am using threads and fabric from stash. I found two of my three thread colors in the stuff I brought in from the garage the other day; they are GAST and came from a Loose Threads pack I got over the years. I pulled a purple for the rabbit, and a white for the border. Somehow I don't feel too bad about using these up on freebies. For part of the border, I also pulled a skein of Needle Necessities floss out--my inner hoarder is not happy about using a discontinued floss, but it worked the best out of all the choices. And, those skeins of Needle Necessities came with A LOT of floss. When I have 20 yards of six-strand loveliness, it is a little more acceptable to use up one length of 2 strands.

The fabric came from a grab bag I bought on Ebay from a place called Dove Stitch in November. I think I paid $16USD for it and got 10 pieces, so it wasn't a bad investment, and it's pretty fabric. It was a good size for a freebie. I hoped to have it done last night, but it was date night, so we went out for dinner, and stitching didn't happen. I should have it done tonight.

I really hope that no one is taking this freebie project as a bad thing. Someone posted negatively on one of the boards about people only stitching freebies, and it has started to worry me. I never knew anyone could get annoyed that people stitch freebies--why design them if you don't want them stitched, after all. I'm not doing this to get over on anyone, and I certainly hope that doing this isn't going to put a designer out of business. That isn't my intention at all. I have all these beautiful freebies I've been collecting for years, and they're not doing a lot of good in binders, unstitched. It's a way to introduce yourself to a designer. If I'd had the option to stitch a Teresa Wentzler design before I attempted to tackle a big design, I might have not been so intimidated, or I might not have bought that other design. Plus, if you can't afford to buy a chart, a freebie is a good and legal way to satisfy the urge to stitch. Am I off on this idea?

9 comments:

Annie said...

I stitch lots of freebies. There are so many beautiful ones, it would be a shame not to stitch them. Amateur designers seem to love that someone stitches their designs. I think it encourages them to think about moving on pro. It's good publicity for professionals too as I always show the results on my blog with a credit or link to the designer's site.

I buy my share of charts and magazines as well of course. But I think it would be just plain silly not to take advantage of what's offered.

Carol said...

I love freebies, too, Rachel! I think they are a great way for designers to interest us in their other (for sale) designs.

Looking forward to seeing all of your freebie finishes :)

Stitchabilities said...

I love freebies they are the perfect way to see if you like designs by a designer, I have lots in a file as I just haven't had the chance to stitch them.

riona said...

Don't let anyone make you feel badly for stitching complimentary charts ... we have all done our share of freebies ... and as others have commented, it is a great way to test the appeal of a new-to-you designer or style of stitching. You know the Quaker quilt I am working on ... well, it all started with the Hedgehog freebie from Workbasket. Since then, I have purchased every Quaker Animal chart from Workbasket that has come down the pike and will continue to do so until I have enough squares for my [queen-size] quilt. Every time you stitch a freebie and post a photo on your blog, you are providing advertising for the designer who offered it in the first place ... certainly a fair payback. Who knows how many purchases will result once people have seen your posts? By the way, you enabled me in another area: I joined the Bride's Tree SAL.

Meari said...

There's nothing wrong with stitching freebies. That's what the designers put them out there for... to stitch, and become aquainted with their designs. :) Can't wait to see your latest stitch.

Bette said...

Why on earth would the designers offer freebies if not to be stitched? I love all the freebies that are being offered. More often than not, I end up buying several designs after I've stitched a freebie. Don't let others get you down. I love seeing what you've stitched, both free and paid for.

Nic said...

I design freebies and I love people asking for them, and stitching them. It's fun for me, and some people are kind enough to make donations to a charity dear to my heart as a 'thank you'. For those that are on a small income, it means they can keep stitching, using their stash. And for me, if I ever decide to make it a paying concern, I will have an idea of what is popular, and a group of people who might be interested in buying from me.

Jennifer said...

People get pissed about other people stiching freebies? Really? Just how much of an ass does someone have to be to get mad about that? My guess would be "a pretty big one". Good heavens - I wouldn't pay the slightest bit of attention to someone with THAT particular bug up their backside. Clearly they have bigger issues.

Pumpkin said...

You shouldn't feel badly about it Rachel. Freebies wouldn't be offered if they weren't meant to be stitched! Plus...you still have to buy the materials to stitch them and some of them do no come cheap. IMO, you're still supporting the NS.

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls