Followers

11 January 2010

They multiply like rabbits

I got the brilliant idea the other day of bringing my floss in from the garage. It's not the best storage solution out there--dust blows in around the garage door, it's precariously stored, and it's cold out there--and I've been buying new floss instead of getting it out of what I have. Which is not a good idea all around. So I went to bring it all inside.

While I was hauling the box of floss down off the top of the pile, I realized one of my other drawered storage units was damaged, to the point that the drawer wouldn't go back in it. Since it's pretty dusty in the garage, and since there was good fabric in that box, I cleaned that one out, too. I brought it all inside and went through it.

Bad idea. But in a good way.

I had at least 10 UFOs tucked in that box. I guess they're UFOs since I haven't worked on them since I moved in. There are a couple that I'm not sure if I want to work on them anymore, but I had put Kustom Krafts' Ghost Wind in there, and I like that one. I even found one I kitted up during a trip to the LNS in Fredericksburg, VA, a few years ago (we took Chancey along that trip, just to show her where she came from, the town, not the LNS), Simple Gifts by Told In A Garden. There was even hand-dyed floss in some of the envelopes. No wonder I walk around, telling myself I KNOW I bought a specific color of WDW and wondering where in the heck it could be. I have it, I just shove it in the most idiotic places, like in with the Brittercup Fox I started as a SAL with my friend Kathy a couple years ago--she stitched both designs, and I'm not half done with the first. I am an evil person. I showed HTB the envelopes--I don't know if he was stunned, impressed or if he has just given up trying to understand me.

I'm trying to figure out a better way to store kitted up WIPs and UFOs than the system which I currently have, which, as you can clearly see, is not working. I have a little cart filing thing I nabbed from the office when we moved that I put some in. That's full to the bursting. I looked at baskets at Michael's the other day, but I think my UFO/WIP pile would overwhelm those baskets. Maybe a hamper? Maybe a storage unit? I am renewing my efforts to work on them, though--HTB thinks I should maybe stop the year of stitching freebily and make it the year of UFOs. I just gave him a look. If I can intersperse small finishes to satisfy me with larger UFO finishes, I think I'd be a lot more satisfied.

4 comments:

Kathy A. said...

Oh that is too funny Rachel. Just tuck them in some corner and deal with them one at a time LOL.

Julie M said...

Sounds like a lot of UFO's! I keep my kitted projects in a file cabinet. But, I don't have many that are kitted up. I prefer to kit them when I start them.

Bette said...

How about a container that fits under your bed? Out of sight out of mind. Works for me!

Meari said...

I'm with you... Work on the UFO's and intersperse with the freebie finishes. If you're like me, you like to see a completion now and then. The freebies would give you that. :) Yay for you in bringing the stuff in from the garage. It's like getting new stash all over again, isn't it?

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls