Followers

28 January 2010

hmmm, hard to decide . . .

I'm rethinking my "Things that begin with P" project for the fair.

I've been wanting to do Pollyanna Pickering's "Circle of Life" with polar bears for a long time. My friend Kathy sent me Pollyanna's new book, Mother and Baby Animals in Cross Stitch, which is a great book if you love stitching animals, for Christmas. So I was set.

And then I found out that the National Zoo's little panda, Tai Shan, is leaving to go back to China next week. I've followed him with interest since he was born back in 2005. Being born in the DC area, we always knew about what was happening with the pandas at the zoo, from Ling-Ling's issues and her inability to have a cub that lived, and so, when this little guy came, he was a new hope. Even though I know he was never ours for keeps, and he's going back to where he belongs, he's a Washingtonian by birth, and I'll miss him. I think my sentiments will be shared by a lot of my fellow DC area residents. I was lucky enough to get to see him a few years ago. The crowds at his enclosure were tremendous; is it remotely possible for one little bear to know how much he is loved?

There are two gorgeous designs of pandas in the Pickering book, one a cub just waking up, the other of a cub and its mother playing together. I'd like to stitch one of them. And one of the things that is so apparent about Tai Shan is how much he played with his mother, and so the latter is a very appropriate picture to stitch as a remembrance of him.

But now, I'm in a quandary. I can only stitch my "Things that begin with a P" project this year. I like the polar bears, I've loved them since I knew the design existed, but there is just something about this panda chart. So I'm trying to figure out which one is the best option for my fair entry.

Hard decision.

4 comments:

Julie M said...

Well post a picture of both and we'll make the decision for you. Then you can blame us if you don't do well at the fair!:)

Unknown said...

Hi,
I think a a panda bear or polar bear would be nice. But I prefer the panda. Come see my blog and you can see all the bears I stitch to give you an idea.

Bette said...

I'm very partial to polar bears but I like pandas too. I don't envy your decision. Can you stitch both and then decide on the fair entry?

riona said...

I think the very fact that you can write so eloquently about your affection for this panda says it all ... I am guessing the decision is already made on the subconscious level ... you are just waiting for it to work its way up to the conscious level.

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls