Followers

21 January 2010

Pulling fabrics

I started pulling finishing fabrics the night before last. It's time to get all the unfinished finishes finished. I'm taking my mom down to my aunt's in the first part of March for a doctor's appointment, and there are things I need her help with, so I figure, if I at least get the process started, we can finish them while we're there.

Why did I buy all this fabric with no real thought towards what I'd use it for? I think a good bit of it was on sale when Walmart was clearing out their fabric, but I'm not sure. I think I have about 10 fabrics I can use as of right now. Out of 2 tubs and a tote bag full . . . Maybe more, I just have to sit and really think about how to use them. I have a few pieces that I bought to do things I haven't started yet, so that's OK, but there is a lot I just bought because it "looked me good."

Why are there so many combinations of red white and blue, but not really any that are perfect for what I need?

Or is it a case of I just need to find the right design to use the fabric? I mean, I have cute stuff. I have a pattern of bees that is just adorable. But I don't stitch a lot of bees. Maybe I need to look more for spring things that use bees? And a lot of my stitching is primitive right now, or at least it feels primitive to me, but the fabric is whimsical. But, probably, if my stitching were whimsical, I'd only be able to see the primitive stuff . . .


And where does one go to consistently find cute Halloween fabric? I have a lot of Halloween fabric, not sure if it's what I'd call cute. My fabric stores don't seem to carry a lot of that. Is that a quilt store sort of thing to purchase?

Don't you wish sometimes you could just commission fabric?

So where do you find fabric? Any great online fabric stores you could recommend?

6 comments:

Annie said...

There just aren't as many fabric stores as there used to be. And on-line shipping costs can be high. Plus you can't see/touch the fabric first. I often go to Bruce Variety since I live so close, and of course, G-Street. Have you ever tried Capital Quilts near Shady Grove?

Kathy A. said...

Quilt shops I find are wonderful places to get novelty fabrics. They sell lots of fat quarters and I stash them against someday lol.

Siobhán said...

Maybe try www.fatquartershop.com? I haven't bought anything from them, just oogled their fabrics.

riona said...

I tend to buy my fabric for finishing from a local quilt shop called The Happy Quilter ... I can count on getting high count 100% cotton fabrics that are perfect for finishing. Most of the stuff at chain stores like JoAnn's tends to be poly-cotton blends and I don't care for that.

Pumpkin said...

Good for you! I admire the fact that you're going to dedicate part of your time to finishing. Beats having those beautiful projects sitting in a drawer ;o)

Meari said...

I have two huge tubs of fabric also. Like you, I've bought it because it 'looked good'. I get all my fabric from JoAnn Fabrics.

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls