Followers

17 January 2010

A finished finish!

I finally have time to post a picture! Woo hoo!




I stitched this little Bent Creek freebie the early part of this week. It's Hare Lines, and I've wanted to do it for a long time. I think this is what really spurred me to do the Year of Stitching Freebily. It was quite fun to stitch. I wasn't sure what to do with it, though. I mean, I can't make everything a cube, and I am going to try to save box finishes for the right finish. Plus, I couldn't figure out a fabric to use out of my stash and didn't want to buy more--I'm getting overwhelmed with fabic. And then Pumpkin posted a cute finish on her blog, backed with felt. Sooooo, I bought me some pinking shears, some felt and white ribbon, and I finished Hare Lines into an ornament for an Easter tree. I think it looks cute. I think the rotated felt is great for it. I was a bit worried that the glittery felt would be too much, or it wouldn't match, but I think it's perfect. And my total out of pocket for this,not from stash expense, for the ribbon, and the felt? $3.16. A good day!


I also have been stitching on Sheepish Designs' Betsy. I started her a year ago, put her away, then did a little this summer, and put her away. I'll get her finished. My goal for the end of February is to have a wedding dress selected, and ol' Betsy finished. I think these are doable goals.

I didn't get a lot of stitching time today. HTB spent yesterday cleaning and doing laundry. The house is immaculate. I folded laundry and ran errands in my gorgeous Tony Romo jersey he bought me last year (HTB, not Tony Romo) this morning. I promised to make him Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Dip when I got home from getting my car's oil changed today. Got the dip made, we had celery cut up. Our house is split foyer, and the man cave is in the basement. As I attempted to take the dip down the stairs, I dropped it. A 9 inch baking dish full of hot sauce, chicken, blue cheese, and dip went all down the WHITE CARPETED STAIRS, into the freshly CLEANED WHITE FOYER, all over the rug, all over my new purse, my work shoes. All over the wall, all over the door, the banister separating the stairs from the living room. The only place it did not get was the couch and the ceiling, and it looked like vomit.

Before you ask, yes, I cursed. I bellowed the f-bomb. I am trying to not curse, but, if ever there were a time that the F-bomb was appropriate, this was it. HTB came out of the basement and just stared at the horrendous mess. I told him, "I made a helluva mess." And he got me a rag and bucket. So I proceeded to spend the next God knows how long scooping the remainder of the dip into the bowl, scraping it off the wall. Did you know that pre-cooked chicken will shred into little pieces when it hits a wall? Did you know that red hot sauce mixed with blue cheese dressing and chicken, when placed on a white carpet, will make said carpet orange? And it won't come out. Surprisingly it did come off the walls, and it did come out of the area rug, but not the fringe. There were drops of that stuff on eye level with me. And I got it on my new sweatpants, and my Tony Romo jersey. It's barely noticeable on the jersey, the sweatpants have an orange seat now. Oh, well.

I figured it was not a good idea to ask for help. HTB was not in the best of moods (Dallas got stomped) and the foyer was too small for both of us. So I cleaned up as best I could. He came behind and worked on the carpet. Long story short . . . we're updating the foyer. No more white carpet.

It's OK. Accidents happen. One of his friends dropped a soda in the kitchen and he had to clean that off the ceiling. He's OK with it. The foyer needed redone anyway. We just didn't have our dip tonight. I don't know if I ever want to smell hot sauce again . . .

9 comments:

Vicky said...

Great finish and sorry about the dip spillage!

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Are you sure you sre not my sister!!! LOL This sounds like stuff that happens to me all the time. Maybe you could dye the carpet 1970's orange... LOL
Freebie is great !!! I have this one in my stash too.

Siobhán said...

Oh my gosh. I just sat with my hand covering my mouth, reading your story about the dip. Oh, gosh. :P

Beautiful finish, though, and love the WIP!

Lainey said...

Rachel I love how you finished off your Hare, he is adorable.
Sorry about your sauce disaster.
Good luck in finding your dress.

Lainey said...

Rachel I love how you finished off your Hare, he is adorable.
Sorry about your sauce disaster.
Good luck in finding your dress.

riona said...

Those domestic disasters can really get a person down ... I am always reminded of the Jean Kerr line about buying carpets the color of Coca Cola to conceal the many spills created by a family of four boys.

Julie M said...

What an awful thing to happen. But on the bright side, you get to redecorate!!

Kathy A. said...

Oh hon, that must have been one horrible mess to clean up!! White carpets are fine if you only look into a room and don't actually live there lol.
Glad you were able to recover almost everything.

Pumpkin said...

Super finish and I like your angled felt idea! The colors are perfect.

Oh dear :o( Not good. How could you not use the f word ;o)

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls