Followers

19 July 2010

A stitchless weekend

I will probably regret this, but I only stitched about an hour the entire weekend.

We went down to HTB's family's cottage on the Eastern Shore for the weekend. We're doing these small weekends this year instead of a big vacation. It's nice to get away, and we went with HTB's sister and her family, which gave it a different Vibe than with his parents, but it was fun.

The kids and I wanted to learn to crab--my brother was the crabber in the family, not me. It's a lot harder than it looks. Crabs are not as stupid as one would supposed, and they sent the young ones after our chicken necks. HTB's nephew kept saying he just knew there was a big feisty one on the line, but I guess that is relative, because there were only little illegal males, and she crabs, and I don't eat female crabs on moral grounds; we can't save the crabs in the Bay if we keep eating the females. Besides, based on what we were pulling up, there are enough jimmy crabs to keep us stocked with crab cakes this fall. And yes, we made a few jokes about this being "Deadliest Catch: St Michaels", particularly when a 5 year old started swinging the dip net handle around when there were three adults, three kids and the dog on a narrow dock, out over water FULL of jellyfish. I think I'd rather deal with the Bering Sea than jellyfish; you die quickly in the Bering Sea in winter, jellyfish stings just make you want to die and you still have to navigate over oyster shells to get out of the water. We didn't end up catching anything to eat, and the only big feisty crab we took home was me, LOL. Oh well . . . it was a memory we made.

We did head into St. Michaels, a very lovely colonial town, world famous, for a breather because of the heat. We window-shopped, along with the people fresh in off their yachts and the tourists. Of course, no one could confuse us with yachters, and we never got down to the dock, but it was fun to be tourists. We found a great jewelry store, and decided we need to dress up a bit more, so that we can justify buying "important" jewelry. Oh, to have the perfect little black dress and a tan, LOL! We bought some sea glass, and SIL, dear niece and I decided we're going sea glass hunting. HTB thinks it's a bit silly to spend money on what is, essentially, garbage, but sea glass is gorgeous, and, when you think about it, we helped clean up the Bay. We ended our trip at the drink stand for smoothies . . . pure bliss.

We had a nice, laid back dinner Saturday night: fresh sweet corn, baked potatoes, veggies the kids and I cut up, and HTB's Eastern Shore chicken and ribs. After dinner, he put on a fireworks show for us, and we all applauded loudly. It's much more relaxing to see fireworks set off, knowing even if one of the neighbors complained (which they wouldn't), the police couldn't find the house (it's one of those, "turn off the paved road" houses, if you know what I mean). It was a nice enjoyable evening.

We came home yesterday. Only one major Uh-oh. HTB accidentally backed the camper into the house. He didn't do any real damage, just dinked the siding. He was a little annoyed at himself. I told him I yelled, "Stop", but he didn't listen. He looked at it every time he went out--I told him he is the only person who will ever notice he dinked the siding, LOL.

I will now be stitching like a mug to catch up on the stitching this week, and also have to start putting together my fair entries. I think I'm taking a day off to get that accomplished, as soon as I can schedule it.

I hope everyone is having an enjoyable start to their week.

2 comments:

Natasha said...

ohhh sounds like a GREAT Weekend. Did you take any pictures?

What is up with the Jelly fish. When I took the dogs to the Beach last week they were all over the sand, washed up from the tide. But about 100 of them.

Take Care and hope your week sails by

Bette said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! Very relaxing and fun.

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls