Followers

14 August 2008

Drumroll, please

We went to the fair last night. We being SO, his parents, his sister, her husband and her kids, and MOI. I am taking my mom to the state fair, so it was OK that she didn't go.

It was the best time. Not overly hot, though hoofing it up the fairgrounds in jeans and flip-flops will getcha hot. We sampled a crab dawg (yes, you can google them), for all intents a crab egg roll dusted with Old Bay. This is new at our fair this year, and it was about time. YUMMY! We also had chicken on a stick. Let me say, life is good when you can sit on a bench, have a crab dawg in one hand, chicken on a stick in the other, and a lemonade waits for you. That, my dears, is Heaven.

We petted the pigs, and a bison, and saw the bunnies (I want one, I must have one), and rode the rides. Well, the kids did. I have a tummy that does not deal well with fair rides; my stomach is not set up to be pitched on its side and whirled in circles. It's more about the sensory experience: the colors, the lights, the smells. All that.

I did good. Both of my candy entries took 1st place. I am SHOCKED. Some of these people are probably really good candy makers, and their families wait for their candy. I just search out ways to get as much peanut butter, caramel, salt or sugar into my system as possible. And these weren't even my best effort, though I do think the almonds I used on this last batch were a good choice. And I won. Woo hoo!

My stitching did equally as well. 5 first places, 2 seconds, 2 fifths. The fifths were for a Twisted Threads piece and my ornament. I know that I need to improve my finishing skills. That's OK. The Twisted Threads piece was no biggie. The seconds were for Lost Dragon Sampler (bummer!) and my wallhanging. I wish the wallhanging had done better, but maybe they didn't like my dowel. I don't know. I did my best. Can't do more than that.

The afghan took 1st. There weren't any other afghans entered, though. My New Birth of Spring took 1st, as did my little cat, and that pretty Plum Pudding Needlearts sampler. SO's mom and sister fell in love with that. I think I am going to stitch them each a version of it, or something close. Forest Snowfall took first; I was surprised there weren't more entries in that class. SO's stocking also took first. I was so happy with that; it was up against a larger stocking with fancier finishing, but I guess sometimes simple is good!

4 comments:

Daffycat said...

Oh, awsome job, you! Congratulations on your wins~wow!

Ooo, I luvs turkey legs, those are my favs at the fair. A good half hour playing caveman is heaven for me! I'm sure your crab dawg was tasty though!

Since you like cady...if you are ever in Scotland you must try fried Mars bars; they have 'em sometimes here but 'tis not the same! Sinfully yummy.

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on your wins!!!

I LOVE fair food, though sometimes it doesn't love me. I keep telling DH we have to go to the Bloomsburg fair like we used to when we started dating.

And speaking of food on a stick (and turkey legs), if you have the opportunity to go the PA Ren Faire in Mount Hope, it's worth the trip. Pricey, but discount tickets can usually be found. The food absolutely rocks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your ribbons, Rachel!

I'm looking forward to seeing your stitching at the Maryland State Fair. I'm dropping off my five cross-stitch entries on Tuesday.

Can't wait to go to Timonium on Friday (the start of the fair). The only thing I plan to treat myself to is the cherry-vanilla ice cream, made at the fair's dairy.

Debbie

Pumpkin said...

WOOHOOO!!!! That's awesome Rachel! Congrats on all the ribbons :o) No wonder you are happy. How did SO like his stocking?

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls