Followers

25 August 2008

My secret shame

I need to make a confession.

I think I've been pretty honest that I am fairly disorganized. I have not admitted I could stock a good-sized LNS with what is in the trunk of my car. I realized that this morning.

SO was getting his frowny face on this morning before work because he looked in my backseat. I didn't really think it was that bad. The car is full of CDs, and I have some plastic bins that I didn't take out just yet because I've been toting cross stitch in them for the last two weeks. Of course it's full of my hair--I shed worse than a nervous Persian at the vet's--but that's apparently normal when you have long hair.

So before work, I stood out in the garage and started going through stuff. And I realized I need to clean out the trunk and stop making lame excuses why I have that stuff in there, like, in the winter it holds the back end of the car down (stop laughing, quit it right now.)

There's a lot of stitchy stuff in there, more than you would think you could fit in the trunk of a Neon (darn you, last remnants of cab forward design!) . I don't know why I have been travelling around with stitchy stuff in the trunk. Judging from what I shoved in there, it's a sort of elephant burial ground for UFOs; I can't explain it, I won't even try. And I have $90 worth of DMC floss, bought when that rumor went out about how DMC was going out of business. That is actually kinda funny. Especially considering how I stood in AC Moore and tried to reason out how much floss I would need--apparently, I thought 5 of each would do. Another thing I can't explain. I guess when you are terrified, you do crazy things.

The good thing is, it's all coming out of there, and going into the house. As are the two winter coats that have been riding around in there waiting to go to the cleaners (they went to the cleaners at lunch). And it's not going back in. Well, maybe one or two things. I mean a girl has got to have something to work on.


In other news, I went to the fair on Friday. I don't know what upset me more, that my deer and bunny only got third in their class or there was no deep-fried fudge available. I know, third in the state is pretty good, and I think it was good, but I wanted to do better. But they are right in the center of the showcase. My sheep got zippy, my biscornu got zippy, the little cat got nothing. My Kitty Dreams wallhanging got 2nd, which is a step up from last year. Forest Snowfall and Lost Dragon sampler took 1sts; I guess the state fair people realize that you can travel one or two stitches on lettering! My ornament didn't get anything either. I'm a little bummed, since I did try really hard to do nice things, but, I did my best and I can't be upset.

I noticed a lot of the things that won were primitive or ladylike (read that as dainty) designs. All the stitching accessories were dainty little things. The pictures were a wide variety this year, lots of Native American designs, some Crossed Wings. There was a gorgeous Barb and Cheryl, Sunshine and Shadows. I suspect it was entered in the special contest, but it probably confused the judges, being a courtyard, and not really beginning with S. That is the only reason I can think that it did not get a ribbon.

One of Tony Stewart's cars was there. Too bad he wasn't there, but still, pretty cool to see the car. Watched them judge some beef cattle, and they had the sweetest little baby calf. He was just one day old, playing, trying to figure out how those legs worked. Super cute.

We didn't ride any rides, but we had fun. Sat and watched a demonstration of cookware. If I were not so broke, I would consider buying it, but $1600 for some pots and pans is too much.

5 comments:

imnverted said...

Its never a shame to be well prepared for any situation. Who knows, maybe one project will work better than another given the amount of time available for stitching!

Congrats on the awards you did get. I didnt really have anything completed enough to enter this year.

Annie said...

Sounds to me like you made a pretty good ribbon haul at the fair. You're just a perfectionist I guess. Congratulations on all those wins!

You could probably open a mobile LNS out of your car. It's a thought.;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel!
It sure was fun to finally meet you and your mom at the Maryland State Fair!

We sure did have fun that day, even though neither of us earned what we thought we were going to get! The ice cream was a good consolation dessert, eh?

Congratulations, once again, on your ribbons!!

Have a great day!

Debbie

Pumpkin said...

ROFL! OMG! I can't even imagine what your car must have looked like! Really, did you take a picture????

My car is clean. VERY clean. That's my only haven that doesn't get too dirty so I enjoy it while I'm in there. The backset hardly gets used :o)

Congrats on the ribbons. I'd say that's very good if that is the state fair. Good for you :o)

Meari said...

LOL! You have ALL that stash in the trunk of your car??? Mine's in boxes stacked around the perimeter of my bedroom. Organized, but in boxes which drives me insane when I need something. Maybe I should try the trunk thing...

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls