Followers

19 August 2008

Finally all the entries are in

I finally am done with the various fairs.

I took yesterday off to enter my things in the Maryland State Fair. I also needed some time to get my registration renewed, so spent two hours at the Motor Vehicle Administration. It was very frustrating; other than the fact I got much stitching done, it was not fun. Why have 23 stations available to help people if you have 5 people to actually work there? And why do people not have their stuff together when they go to the MVA? I bet people can mostly tell if there is going to be a problem when they go in there--you know if you have speeding tickets, you know if you neglected to pay your insurance, you know if you moved from another state--and so why try to get around it by showing up with random paperwork and an attitude? And I do pat myself on the back because I showed up with my check ready, my number in hand, and my paper. When I got to the window, it took, literally, 1 MINUTE. But Halloween Fairy had a bit more skirt when we left and that's good.

The line for the fair was shorter was shorter than the county fair line. Of course I created my own drama by realizing, a) my biscornu had a crab with one pupil and no eyeball and b)the beading on the stocking keeps needing to be reinforced. I had to half-ass stitch the eyeball on there. Fortunately, I had white in the car; it's not the best job, but it will hold. How did I do that? And I pinched the knot back behind the stitches on the stocking. Hopefully it will hold for the judging.

I didn't see a lot of the entries. One lady had a gorgeous Christmas piece she was entering, and there was a P. Buckley Moss and a quilt piece, but I didn't see much else. Lots of lovely quilts.

I don't know how well I will do this year. All I can say is, I tried. Other than my crab eyeball, and doing a better job with the beads, there is not a single item that I can say, "If I did this better, it would do better." I can't do it. I don't know how one gets Best of Show, but I've done all I can do.

1 comment:

Pumpkin said...

I'm sorry Rachel but I just have to laugh here, lol. I can't believe that you had floss in the car!

Fingers crossed that you did well :o) As you can see, I'm behind on my Blog reading.

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls