Followers

19 April 2008

Happy Spring

Not much to write about stitching-wise. But I did want to write, because this is the first day that I really get a sense that winter might finally be over. Not that we had a lot of snow, but I am not a winter person.

Today was one of those mornings that really spoke of what's to come. It was warm when I got up at 9 and let the boys out in the backyard. They seemed to be pretty happy about the weather, even though SO told me they aren't allowed up on the deck anymore because he caught them peeing on the deck chairs--they are dogs by the way, LOL.

I had to work today. Figures, right? Anyway, of course, I had to drive in with the windows down and the stereo blasting. Why live in the country and work in the city if you can't do stuff like that? SO lives close to a Thoroughbred farm, and they have been letting the mares and foals out in the mornings. Sometimes they stay close to the barn, and you can't see them as well, but this morning, the mamas were close to the road, and their little ones were right up against the fence. And nothing is as "spring" and hopeful to me as a new Thoroughbred foal. I guess it's a holdover from being in Kentucky. I used to beg to be driven on backroads to see the foals as soon as it got to be March. And there really is nothing more wondrous than to see those gorgeous babies running on their long spindly legs and wondering if you just saw a future Kentucky Derby winner start his preparation for his win.

And the flowers that are out. At one point on the road, I go through property owned by a nursery. They have all their flowering trees going now. It smelled sweet. I read something that said that flowers today don't smell as strongly as they did in the 1800s, because of the pollution, and they maybe are thinking that this might be part of the cause colony collapse (which, we were told at the state fair, is not happening in Maryland). If that's what happening, those bees need to come here! There was no mistaking where the flowers were.

And of course, speaking of smells, the farmers are starting to clean out their cattle barns and spread what they have removed across the fields. I know it's great fertilizer, and I try not to act like too much of a yuppie, because I was raised in the country, but, good googley moogley, it was pretty rank out there this morning. It's supposed to rain later, so I think it will be OK. And at least it wasn't as bad as I've dealt with (and driven through) in the past.

So, anyway, Happy Spring, y'all. You've now been officially warned, it's time to get the toes in condition for flip flops, check to make sure your swimsuit is ready to go, buy you a new beach bag, start looking for a place to plant your tomato plants. Summer is coming!

2 comments:

Pumpkin said...

Yes, I do believe that spring is finally here as well, although we don't have any flowering trees yet. We do have the cow poo but on top of that is the chicken poo. Not nice ;oP

I'd love to see those foals :o)

LoriRay said...

Get our bathing suits ready? Are you kidding me? I am SOOOOO not prepared. LOL! ;-)

About the poop smell...my husband is a farm/country boy. Whenever he smells cow poop, he always sniffs and says, "Mmmmmmm, smells like money!" Crazy man.

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls