Followers

02 April 2008

Trying to finish a Margaret Sherry freebie gift

I have had the cutest little Margaret Sherry cat in a wreath free kit in my to-do pile for over a year. I am particularly careful with this kit because you have to have the mount to make it work, and I have a habit of trashing paper mats. It was in Cross Stitcher 181, which, BTW, is a good issue of that magazine, pretty diverse in the subject matter--we got a Tigger, the cat, a robin, a winter sampler. Pretty good value in that one. Anyway, I am digressing.

I spent a good part of yesterday working on it. I worked late late night, so had a pretty good 4 hours straight to put in. I have it pretty much half stitched, the bottom part though. I still have his cat face to do. I really have to compliment whoever charted this design. I do not do a lot of MS because of the fact that you have to split threads on the backstitch. After I did that big afghan last winter, I realized I hate having to fight to get the needle and thread down through the middle of an X, then through the fabric. It doesn't seem like it would be hard, but it is. But the charting editor, who, and this may be why this is fun to stitch, stitched it as well, did a fantastic job of making it a user-friendly chart that is fun to stitch.

I don't have any grandiose plans for this one. I don't think my LNS could figure out how to frame this any better than me. I thought it would be kinda fun to just mount the finished piece on a piece of card stock, or else a fun scrapping paper, and mount it in a store-bought frame, maybe I can find a cool one at the thrift store. Nothing fancy. It's not a fancy design, it's just something that reminds me of my Gus, and makes me smile when I see it, because I just know, if he could figure out how to get into a wreath, my tubby tabby would be swinging in the wreaths at the holidays. And, since it was free, and I can get a cheap or reclaimed frame, I am staying on the wagon. Ha!


Somehow I suspect giving up buying cross stitch is going to be a lot harder than giving up drinking soda.

No comments:

I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can’t be helped--Frederick Perls